Error Code HTTP 12209 whenever I try to access the internet.

My current computer, which is a Dell Dimension 8100, runs on Windows XP.  Recently, whenever I try to access the internet, I get an error message stating that "web page cannot be displayed."  When I check the dianostic, it shows an error code HTTP 12209.

Since I cannot access the internet on my regula computer to report this problem, I am using my former computer, which is a Dell Dimension 2300 and also operates on Windows XP, to report this problem.

Of course, my Dimension 8100 is much faster than my 2300, so I want to correct the error problem so I can reconnect my regular computer.  I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 617 Applies to:
Answer

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings & reboot?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine?

5. Did a Norton or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.