Q: Error Code HTTP 12209 whenever I try to access the internet. This thread is locked from future replies

My current computer, which is a Dell Dimension 8100, runs on Windows XP.  Recently, whenever I try to access the internet, I get an error message stating that "web page cannot be displayed."  When I check the dianostic, it shows an error code HTTP 12209.

Since I cannot access the internet on my regula computer to report this problem, I am using my former computer, which is a Dell Dimension 2300 and also operates on Windows XP, to report this problem.

Of course, my Dimension 8100 is much faster than my 2300, so I want to correct the error problem so I can reconnect my regular computer.  I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings & reboot?

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine?

5. Did a Norton or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 598 Last updated: February 6, 2018 Applies to: