Is Internet Explorer 7 Compatible with windows 7?

Hi there,I have just bought a new laptop with windows 7 and Internet explorer 8 built in- but I much prefer IE 7 but can't seem to access or install it with windows 7.Why am I forced to use IE 8 when I clearly don't want to.Is it possible to uninstall IE 8 and get back my beloved IE 7.Also since being on windows 7 all my favorites from the last  "5" yrs have all but disappeared where have they gone.Please help I really like windows 7 but hate using IE 8.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 9,227 Applies to:
Answer
I much prefer IE 7

Why?   Specific features please.   IE6 I could understand because it is so different but IE7 and IE8 are so similar I can�??t remember anything that is significantly different let alone worse in IE8.   However, you aren�??t forced to use IE as your browser; you can try installing any other (non-IE) browser and use it.  Also, I have never tried them but I understand there are also third-party browser shells based on the same core of IE which simply provide a UI that some find more appealing.

Also since being on windows 7 all my favorites from the last  "5" yrs have all but disappeared where have they gone.

Explain?  �??all but disappeared�?�?   Some were preserved by your install but not others?   Do you have a backup from your previous system?   If so, copy them from there.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

You cannot install IE7 nor can you downgrade IE8 to IE7 in Win7.

If it's a Win7 64-bit computer, you have two versions of IE8: IE8 64-bit (the default) and IE8 32-bit.

The executable for IE8 64-bit is located here:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

The executable for IE8 32-bit is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

See this "sticky" for more details & info about IE 32-bit vs. IE 64-bit on a Win7 64-bit computer: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981

Also see this IE 64-bit FAQ: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx

Welcome to the wonderful world of 64-bit computing!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.