Question

Q: Is Internet Explorer 7 Compatible with windows 7?

Hi there,I have just bought a new laptop with windows 7 and Internet explorer 8 built in- but I much prefer IE 7 but can't seem to access or install it with windows 7.Why am I forced to use IE 8 when I clearly don't want to.Is it possible to uninstall IE 8 and get back my beloved IE 7.Also since being on windows 7 all my favorites from the last  "5" yrs have all but disappeared where have they gone.Please help I really like windows 7 but hate using IE 8.

Answer

A:

I much prefer IE 7

Why?   Specific features please.   IE6 I could understand because it is so different but IE7 and IE8 are so similar I can�??t remember anything that is significantly different let alone worse in IE8.   However, you aren�??t forced to use IE as your browser; you can try installing any other (non-IE) browser and use it.  Also, I have never tried them but I understand there are also third-party browser shells based on the same core of IE which simply provide a UI that some find more appealing.

Also since being on windows 7 all my favorites from the last  "5" yrs have all but disappeared where have they gone.

Explain?  �??all but disappeared�?�?   Some were preserved by your install but not others?   Do you have a backup from your previous system?   If so, copy them from there.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

You cannot install IE7 nor can you downgrade IE8 to IE7 in Win7.

If it's a Win7 64-bit computer, you have two versions of IE8: IE8 64-bit (the default) and IE8 32-bit.

The executable for IE8 64-bit is located here:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

The executable for IE8 32-bit is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

See this "sticky" for more details & info about IE 32-bit vs. IE 64-bit on a Win7 64-bit computer: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981

Also see this IE 64-bit FAQ: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx

Welcome to the wonderful world of 64-bit computing!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 9,200 Last updated: May 16, 2018 Applies to: