Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
Applies to

Windows 8.1 upgrade & IE 11 not working properly

annettesullivan asked on

Hello there,

I have been experiencing several issues lately, from not being able to use attachments with Outlook, (issue has fixed itself now, not sure how)

to the issue I am experiencing now. I have just upgraded to Windows 8.1 and IE 11, and now I am having issues with Google's Gmail taking forever to load. It does eventually, but takes a few minutes to load completely. I have checked the Compatibility View Mode information, and it does not make a difference if I use Compatibility Mode or not. I have read some posts today regarding some users having problems like mine, and it suggests that you check or Manage your Add Ons. I have come to realize that Microsoft Silverlight is not compatible with Windows 8.1 and IE 11 for some reason and since uninstalled Silverlight altogether. I have tried another Browser, Google Chrome to see if my Gmail loads correctly, and it does not. It functions the same way as with IE 11. I wanted to be able to go back to my previous OS Windows 8, however, I have researched that topic and apparently you cannot go back. I do not have any other Add Ons so I am not sure what is causing the issue with Gmail being so slow to load. It operated fine yesterday until I upgraded to Windows 8.1. Quite frankly, I wish I hadn't upgraded and now I cannot do anything about it. I am not impressed with the new Windows 8.1 whatsoever, and actually didn't have a problem with Windows 8 not having a Start Button. It was not that hard to operate, all you had to do was hover over the bottom left hand side of the screen to get to the Desktop. I guess I was one of the few people that actually did not mind that Windows 8 didn't have a Start Button. Anyway, what else can I do now that I have upgraded to ensure my Gmail is functioning properly and also solve the Microsoft Silverlight problem?? Do I really need the Microsoft Silverlight and is there any update on the bugs known with Windows 8.1?

Thanks,

Annette Sullivan

13 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Nate Jackson replied on

I no longer have to set the Document Mode to "10" in IE 11 to make Gmail work quickly.  Either Google fixed Gmail, or it was fixed for me by applying this IE update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2901549

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nate

Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress