Internet explorer and edge don't show 1440p60 and 2160p60 options on youtube

Internet explorer and microsoft edge don't show 1440p60 and 2160p60 options on youtube.

I can see youtube videos only up to 1080p60. At 30 fps, I can see up to 8k (ghost towns).

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2019 Views 10,850 Applies to:

Hi Roberto,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you on this.

This issue may occur due the updated graphic driver is not installed on the system. Kindly follow the below method and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to download the updated graphic driver from the computer manufacturer website and install the updated graphic drivers and check.

If the above method doesn’t fix the issue try method 2.

Method 2.

I suggest you to install all the available Windows update along with optional update and check.

If the issue still persist try the below method.

Method 3.

Since it is a technical preview it would be best if you use the Feedback app to provide your valuable suggestions and feedback. The app will directly redirect to the developer.

Hope this information is helpful for you. Post us any issue related to Windows we will be glad to help you.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi There Billion Bebbarma,

Thank you for answering my question.

I have windows 10 x64 10240 with all updates ok, including the lastest driver of my nvidia graphics card. The fact is that on google chrome I can watch 1440p and 2160p videos on 60fps, but on edge or internet explorer (with or w/o compatibility mode) I can only see up to 1080p on 60 fps (the options of higher resolutions do not show) and on 30 fps I can see up to 4320p (ghost towns video).

Please, try it yourself, can you see youtube 1440p60 or 2160p60 videos on edge or internet explorer?  There is no need for a 4k monitor or 4k graphics card capable, since I see these videos on chrome. I want to see 2160p60 videos on internet explorer seeing the face that internet explorer's gpu assistance instead of cpu is much better than chrome.

Maybe its not just with me... perhaps? Maybe its the html5 player on youtube?

Roberto

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again.

So, I figured it out, microsoft edge and internet explorer 11 are not able to process the VP9 webm codecs from youtube, that allows u to see 1440p60 and 2160p60, as can be viewed with some high CPU usage on google chrome, and with large loss of quality on firefox (chrome and firefox support MSE & webm vp9, webm vp8 codecs).

So I think it is something for microsoft to update on microsoft edge or IE 11, this webm vp9 and mse stuff..... chrome does not use gpu acceleration as nearly as microsoft browsers, and I know there is plenty of people that would like to see high res 60fps videos using not nearly as much cpu (as chrome uses) and more gpu.

Hope you kinda be nice and tell microsoft to update this feature or sth like that for us to have the best browsing experience ever with microsoft edge.

Thank you

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

picture on microsoft edge (IE 11 is similar), showing there is no support for codecs on the side of those red squares.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for participating for the feedback of Microsoft edge and Internet explorer 11, I would recommend you please use the Feedback app and give your feedback.

If you need further assistance on Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Thanks.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.