Why do multiple [at least 2] iexplore.exe processes start when opening First IE window?

I check Task Manager when Windows bogs down to see what is hogging CPU time.

IF I have IE active, there is always at least two iexplorer.exe tasks running... why?

I have also noticed that there is always one more iexplorer.exe task running that IE windows/tabs... why?

Sometimes these are iexplorer.exe and sometimes they are iexplorer32.exe... why?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit... but don't ever see iexplorer64.exe run...why?

I am computer literate and understand opening an IE task for each IE Window/Tab...

but... why always one more??? and why not 64 bit?

OK... I just want to understand this so it does not 'bother' me anymore...;o]

Question Info

Last updated July 31, 2018 Views 25,281 Applies to:
Answer

1. I check Task Manager when Windows bogs down to see what is hogging CPU time.

2. IF I have IE active, there is always at least two iexplorer.exe tasks running... why?

I have also noticed that there is always one more iexplorer.exe task running that IE windows/tabs... why?

3. Sometimes these are iexplorer.exe and sometimes they are iexplorer32.exe... why?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit... but don't ever see iexplorer64.exe run...why?

Hi,

1. The extra IE processes aren't hogging CPU time. If IE is actually being a resource hog on your computer, check browser add-ons.

Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
or

from Start> Run (or Windows logo key + r) type in iexplore.exe -extoff

(iexplore.exe<space>-extoff) then hit Enter.

If the problem goes away, an add-on is causing it.

To determine which add-on is causing the problem see:

IEBlog  Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

- - - - -

2. The additional IE processes are normal and are created to make Automatic Crash Recovery possible.
See:
IEBlog  IE8 and Reliability:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/07/28/ie8-and-reliability.aspx

- - - - -

Your iexplore.exe files are located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe . . . (32-bit)
and

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe . . . (64-bit)

You can create a shortcut to either of those for the desktop or Start Menu.

Normally, with IE11 on Windows 7, the Start Menu shortcut will be for the 64-bit version of IE11.

Go to Internet Options> Advanced and check "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode." I've also seen reports that 64-bit IE10 cannot be accessed/run (using any method) if Enable Enhanced Protected Mode is not checked.

Also, in Internet Options> Security, verify that Protected Mode is enabled.

Also, from Control Panel> Action Center, Change User Account Control Settings, verify that the slider is not set to "Never notify." If User Account Control is set to "Never notify" Protected Mode and Enhanced Protected Mode can't be enabled.

With 64-bit IE11 on Windows 7, if Protected Mode and Enhanced Protected Mode are both enabled, you will get 64-bit manager processes and mostly 64-bit tabs. The content of some webpages may result in 32-bit tabs. This will be automatic based on the content of the webpage.

Don

25 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.