Swann CCTV DVR access stopped working on IE11 today

Really odd problem today.

I got my wife's laptop running on win 10 over the weekend, and one of the jobs was to also get it working with my Swann CCTV DVR which requires an active-x control.  That was pretty easy by opening the webpage to the DVR, and then clicking on open as Internet Explorer, and do the usual security tweaks to get the active-x control installed.  All tested and working reliably....until I ran windows update a couple of hours ago, and now the webpage from the DVR won't even load, let alone the active-x control.

All I get is a "This page can't be displayed" message.

So, I went to my own desktop machine (Windows 7/IE11) and found I have exactly the same problem on that. I haven't accessed the DVR on that for a few weeks so I can't be certain when that stopped working.  I note there was a cumulative security update for IE11 installed on the 9th of the month so that is where my finger of suspicion is currently pointing.  

I can ping the DVR from both the affected IE11 machines.

I have Swannview apps on iPad and Android to get in remotely and both those are working absolutely fine.  I then dug out my wife's old laptop I use for testing (IE9/Vista) and I can get to the DVR without any issue at all on that, so I know there is nothing whatsoever wrong on the DVR side of things.   

The DVR is accessed on port 3100 so all I can think is either an update to IE11, or some other update, is actually blocking the connection completely.  The reason I say "some other update" is I have noticed that if I access the DVR on a non-supported browser such as Chrome or Firefox on the old IE9/Vista machine, I still get the Swann logo page up even though it can't handle the active-x control.   If I try that on either of the two affected machines, I get page cannot be displayed type message on those browsers too.

Any ideas before I start uninstalling updates?

Thanks.

Have uninstalled KB3139929 - the most recent security update on my machine - and that made no difference.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As I have understood, you are experiencing issue with Swann CCTV DVR access stopped working on Internet Explorer 11 on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check if it works. Please follow the link given below.

Open the Windows Update Troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Note: The above troubleshooter will check whether the Network Adapter and Windows Update services are running correctly.

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

Try to run the Internet Explorer Performance Troubleshooter and check if it helps. Please follow the steps in the article given below.

Note: The Performance troubleshooter checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Open the Performance troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-performance-troubleshooter

If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3:

Manage add-ons in Internet Explorer, please follow the steps in the link given below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11-win-7

Note: Add-ons can sometimes cause browsers to run slowly and crash, or they might pose a security or compatibility risk. You can turn off specific add-ons to help increase your browsing speed, or if you suspect they are causing problems for Internet Explorer. You can also remove add-ons that you are no longer using from your PC.

If the issue persists, follow method 4

Method 4:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings, please follow the steps in the link given below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, the problem cleared all by itself one day a few months ago so I can't be sure what the issue was. It still doesn't work 100% of the time on IE11 - sometimes it just hangs with browser not responding - but it was like that prior to this issue surfacing. 

I've since upgraded my own machine to win10 and found the EDGE browser a bit flaky in general, so installed google chrome and tried the IE tab plugin which emulates IE.  

That works REALLY well 100% of the time.  No hangs, no lockups, just does its thing. 

I can only assume because the DVR is a few years old now that it doesn't get on that well with real IE. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2020 Views 2,942 Applies to:

Related Forums