Responded to pop-up message that my computer may have a virus. Was this legitimate?

While on Explorer I received an error notice and instructions to not close or open any programs because my computer may have a virus and could be damaged.,   A telephone number appeared to call,  It ended up with First Choice Tech Support.  They took control of my computer, and did a scan and told me I needed a full tune up. They also suggested I get Web Root security.  Their cost was $350.  Has anyone ever heard of this company?  They told me that they are affiliated with Microsoft.

[Original title: First Choice Tech support]

Answer
Answer
You have been scammed and are at risk already. Any financial items on your PC? Credit card payments/billing? If yes, cancel those cards NOW!  Bank online? Have a debit card? Call your bank ASAP. And start changing all your passwords. They gained access to all these things and more.

Follow the steps here to remove anything they have put on your computer.

Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Adding a little to Bruce's very thorough answer. This was just a pop-up message. This company

had no way of knowing anything about virus's or errors on your computer until you gave them

access to it.

If you paid the $350 by credit card, call the card company and try to get the charge reversed/cancelled.

Don

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2018 Views 855 Applies to:

Related Forum