Redirect loop in Internet Explorer 11 on this site after log in

When I go to answers.microsoft.com and click Participate > Ask a question, then log in with my hotmail email, I get a redirect loop. If I try to go to hotmail.com to view email, same redirect loop. If I click Sign up now on the error page, redirect loop. I can't use answers.microsoft.com in Internet Explorer.
|

Hello Dave,

As per description, you are getting redirect loop while accessing answers.microsoft.com.

It would be great if you can provide more information regarding this issue. Please answer these questions:

1. Does the issue remains same when you access the Hotmail account using another Brower?

2. What happens when you try to access other websites using Internet Explorer?

3. Do you get any error message\ error code on your screen?

In first place make sure that this is not a browser issue. I would suggest you to follow methods given below and check.

Method 1: I recommend that you clear your browser's cache and temporary internet files to make sure that they are not causing your issue. Please clear your browser's cookies by following the instructions.

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

1. Select Tools (via the Gear Icon) > Safety > Delete browsing history....
  1. Make sure to uncheck Preserve Favorites website data and check both Temporary Internet Files and Cookies then click Delete.

2. You will get a confirmation at the bottom of the window once it has successfully cleared your cache and cookies.

If issue still persists try method 2.

Method 2: I would suggest you follow the steps from the article given below and check.

Cannot access some websites in Internet Explorer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/967897?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: The steps in the article for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 applies to IE 11 for Windows 7 as well.

Important: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It only happens in IE, and it happens when it goes to login.live.com; redirect loop. It doesn't matter if it's whether I click Participate > Ask a Question, or Sign In anywhere on a Microsoft page, even hotmail.com or outlook.com.

I read in other posts that it's an account variable that needs to be changed that I'm unable to change and only moderators or account admins at Microsoft can change, so are you able to get it changed?

I'm trying your steps and there's no Safety option under Tools (Internet Explorer 11), just "Delete browsing history", so please update your instructions.

I completed Method 1, closed IE and reopened it, went to answers.microsoft.com, clicked Participate > Ask a Question, got the login screen, then I logged in (with Keep me logged in checked), and it redirected me to the answers site but still said Sign In at the top right. I clicked that and got the login.live.com redirect loop with a new tab opening and closing constantly until it errored out, so Method 1 isn't effective.

I'll try Method 2 but I think you should try to fix the setting in my account as other board moderators have suggested.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dave,

Apology for the delayed response.

As per description, method 1 didn’t resolve the issue.

Have you tried method 2? If yes, what was the result?

Please update us with the status of the issue. We would be happy to assist you further on the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I've tried method 2 and same problem. Microsoft's own websites should not require compatibility view in their own browser. Please ask a higher-up how to fix my account: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oaccount-omyinfo/this-webpage-has-a-redirect-loop-when-attempting/a53f187d-7e20-41ab-a5e9-436043b4e674 The problem is still happening for these people too even after 7 pages.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I go to answers.microsoft.com and click Participate > Ask a question, then log in with my hotmail email, I get a redirect loop. If I try to go to hotmail.com to view email, same redirect loop. If I click Sign up now on the error page, redirect loop. I can't use answers.microsoft.com in Internet Explorer.

If you have any Microsoft sites in Trusted or Restricted sites remove them.

This includes (there may be others)

Microsoft, live, outlook.com, Hotmail, TechNet, MSDN, msn, bing, etc.

Option B (I have to do this currently)

Access http://answers.microsoft.com in InPrivate mode. Clearing all cookies helped me once with this problem, but only once.

Don

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have any Microsoft sites in Trusted or Restricted sites remove them.

This includes (there may be others)

Microsoft, live, outlook.com, Hotmail, TechNet, MSDN, msn, bing, etc.

Option B (I have to do this currently)

Access http://answers.microsoft.com in InPrivate mode. Clearing all cookies helped me once with this problem, but only once.

Don

When I go to Trusted Sites it shows several on the list but I can't see them all because everything's grayed out and I can't scroll. On the Security tab it says "Some settings are managed by your system administrator".

I tried InPrivate browsing and clearing cache and cookies but same problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dave,

Apology for late reply,

I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check if this helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1:

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11-win-7

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.  

If issue didn’t get resolve try method 2.

Method 2: I would suggest you to follow the steps from the link given below and refer to the steps by Tim Quan.

Some settings are managed by your system administrator

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/cd9e1fc2-e209-49f4-ae4a-78222969c6b2/some-settings-are-managed-by-your-system-administrator

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't do all of these because of my system security settings, which I don't have control over.

So basically even though that link I left mentioned it's an account problem that Microsoft forum administrators can have fixed, I have to use Chrome instead of Internet Explorer to use a few Microsoft sites.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response.

I would suggest you to disable security software temporarily and check if the issue persists.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 9,436 Applies to:

Related Forum