KB2670838 won't download on Windows 7 SP1 - for download of Interenet Explorer 11

Trying to download Internet Explorer 11 (currently have IE 9), starts to download then it says certain files need to be downloaded first.  All other files listed are currently on my computer, only requires KB2670838.  It initialzes, then starts the download then says "download failed."  No other help or error code noted.  I have tried 3 times to download with the same results.  Why is this not downloading?  And does this mean I can never download IE 11 without it?  Very frustrating!!

Anyone else have this problem or a possible solution???

|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I can understand it is frustrating when things do not work as expected. Do not worry, I will assist you on this.

Please answer the following questions so that we can assist you better:

1. What is the make and model of the computer? Does the computer has a combination of Intel and AMD video cards in a hybrid configuration?
  2. Do you have any third-party antivirus software installed in the computer?

KB2670838 update is one of the prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 7 Service Pack 1. As it is not getting installed in the computer, first we will try to install this update.

Some computers that have a combination of Intel and AMD video cards in a hybrid configuration, that is incompatible with this KB2670838 update. To resolve this issue, you may have to install the

update 2834140.

Direct download link for KB2670838 and Internet Explorer 11:

KB2670838

Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7

If the video card installed in the computer is not in a hybrid configuration or the update KB2834140 is already installed, then try the steps mentioned below and check the issue. After performing each method first try to install KB2670838 update. If it gets installed successfully, then try to install Internet Explorer 11.

Method 1

Run System File Checker as it can helps users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Method 2

Run the System Update Readiness tool. This tool runs a one-time scan for inconsistencies that may prevent future servicing operations. You may download it from the link below.

Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool

Method 3

the issue still persists, so try to install the updates after resetting Windows update components. You may try to do it by running the Microsoft fixit from the link below.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

If the issue does not get fixed after running the fixit, then try to reset the components manually. I would suggest you to follow section, ”Manually reset Windows Update components” from the article mentioned above and check if it helps.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tells you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this helps.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2021 Views 5,861 Applies to:

Related Forum