KB 4038777 breaks IE 11

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/patch-alert-update/

FYI .......  Win 7   KB 4038777 breaks IE 11

From above Link:  I installed this update yesterday. It broke Internet Explorer. I restored the pc to the state it was before this update. Reinstalled the update again. Same result. All the icons on the task bar were unusable. Restored the pc a second time.

After Win 7  KB4038777 – IE11 has the Search box on next to the URL box with no option to hide it and set tabs to new line. If you uncheck the “Tabs on new line” they are put in the same line as the URL hiding the Search box. No option so far to have both tabs in new line and search box off. Same supposed to happen with the equivalent Win8.1 and Win10 patches.

Can Anyone else confirm this ?

Moved From: Windows / Windows 7 / Performance & system failures

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ever time they do an update to W10 there is a glitch!  IE is missing from y taskbar but the others are there.  I hate EDGE and am disgusted with these updates changing my settings.  I can see why people are using MACs.  Good luck!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Craig,

We understand that you're experiencing several issues after a Windows update.

Just to confirm, are you only experiencing a problem with your Internet Explorer? Aside from the browser, is everything okay? Or you're also experiencing a problem with the task bar like you've mentioned about the icons being unusable?

In the meantime, let's run the following scans to repair missing or corrupted system files:

• System File Checker
    The System File Checker or SFC is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore these corrupted files.
  • DISM or System Update Readiness tool
    The DISM or Deployment Image Servicing and Management can help you fix some Windows corruption errors as well.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Michele. The verbiage in my Post was Quoting 2 people in the AskWoody.com Blog that experienced Those Problems after Installing KB4038777.

I am NOW AFRAID to install it and was asking IF anyone else had Experienced the SAME ISSUES.

Sometimes one or 2 people's posts about a problem does not mean it will be True for All.

Just ALERTING Forum Members here to Be Prepared and See IF others (& how many) incurred same issue.

Win 10-64 1909 Pro / Firefox / ESET EIS / MBAM Prem 4/ Diskeeper Pro 15

Sorry this didn't help.

I just experienced this issue on Windows 7 after installing KB4038777.  I was trying to find a solution when I came across your post.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think it is a case of a IE product update that is working as designed but maybe not as desired.

...and it is a ridiculous wild goose chase notion and suggestion made by the Microsoft engaged alleged "expert" to suggest the System File Check or DISM.  I'm pretty sure if I had a flat tire they would suggest SFC and DISM.

The search box isn't really missing - MS just changed the way search works if tabs are on the same row as the address bar.  If tabs are not on the same row the search box is still there.

If you have "Show tabs on separate row" checked, the search box appears.

If you have "Show tabs on separate row" unchecked, the search box now gets incorporated into the address bar as a magnifying glass option (that is the change).

After installing KB403877, restarting and launching IE you should have seen this message:

After the update when tabs are set to display on a separate row the search box is visible on the same horizontal plane as the address bar (it is not hiding) with tabs underneath - tabs on a separate row (like it says):

If you uncheck the option the tabs will move to the same horizontal plane as the address bar and the search box is removed and replaced with the magnifying glass icon on the address bar (which was missing before):

So if tabs are on the same row and you want to search click the magnifying glass instead and type in your search term.

You can read all about it with a Google search like this:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I should clarify, my IE won't start at all any longer. 

Sorry this didn't help.

And if you say "I don't like this new feature so I'm going to uninstall the update" that will get things back like they were.

Since it is a security update and security updates are cumulative the next IE security update (maybe next month) will have the same feature.  So either live with it and adjust or never install any future IE security updates.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

Sorry this didn't help.

[Corrected: I originally said Windows 7 Professionnal by mistake.] I installed KB4038777 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  The symptom I see is that IE11 won't start at all.  Neither starting it from the Start menu or invoking it by attempting to open an HTML file seems to have any effect.  I, too, went through the exercise of reverting the patch, noting that IE then worked, reinstalling the patch, noting that IE wouldn't start, and reverting the patch again.

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed KB4038777 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  The symptom I see is that IE11 won't start at all.  Neither starting it from the Start menu or invoking it by attempting to open an HTML file seems to have any effect.  I, too, went through the exercise of reverting the patch, noting that IE then worked, reinstalling the patch, noting that IE wouldn't start, and reverting the patch again.

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/technical-problems/

Find all of PKCano posts starting at Sep 15 at 2:15 p.m. as he addresses W7 Pro and some changes to Icon Font sizes, Registry, etc.

Problem is that in another Askwoody.com Post ( https://www.askwoody.com/2017/patch-alert-update/ )

Richard in Post #8 found the opposite of WHICH Font Size changes to make.

Probably worth reading and / or join the Askwoody.com discussion (Forum site having a few hiccups but try it).

Win 10-64 1909 Pro / Firefox / ESET EIS / MBAM Prem 4/ Diskeeper Pro 15

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem.  Font size was the issue.  WITH KB4038777 installed:

Right click on the desktop or in Control Panel
Personalization\Win Color\Advanced appearance settings\Icon

Change the size to 16 or less.

Now IE should start!

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2019 Views 2,482 Applies to:

Related Forums