Internet Explorer 11 Crashes get "Internet Explorer has stopped working" message

I know this is a common problem that I have about Internet Explorer 11 on a Windows 7 computer. I have been in the technology field for many, many years now. I am not an expert but I do know when programs work and when they don't work. What the heck happened to Internet Explorer 11? Internet Explorer 11 sucks now. What the **** did Microsoft do to the functionality of Internet Explorer 11. You pull up a site and 99% of the time, IE 11 crashes. You get the famous "Internet Explorer has stopped working" message. It will close and reopen with "recover webpage" at the bottom. This will happen to almost every site that a user will visit. Sometimes you don't even get a response at all. Other times, Internet Explorer will just sit there thinking "duh what do I do". The answer is to add almost every site to the list of compatibility settings? REALLY? Resetting IE 11 is only a temporary fix. Users are faced with this problem every single day. Some users don't even know what compatibility settings means. Back in the old days, Internet Explorer 8 and 9 just worked. You go on IE 8 or 9 and the site just appears. There wasn't any fooling around with compatibility ****. It just worked! Internet Explorer was good back in those days. Now, I don't know what changed with Internet Explorer 10 and 11 now you are forced to use Chrome or Firefox. That is due to the lack of stability with IE 11. Google Chrome just works. Period. Chrome just works for the most part. Almost any website, you can pull up on Chrome.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2018 Views 14,929 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi there,

Welcome to Microsoft Community!

An add-on to Internet Explorer possibly might be causing this problem, please click this link to find out how to open Internet Explorer with no add-ons enabled:

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/04/how-to-start-ie9-without-add-ons-loading

After starting Internet Explorer with no add-ons, please go to Google and see if it still freezes. If it doesn't, it'll be a problem with one of your add-ons.

You could also run the troubleshooter to fix Internet Explorer add-on problems when IE hangs or freezes, here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_freezes_or_crashes

If the above options doesn't help, please reply and I will help you further!

Cheers,

Leo

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Nope, no unusual Add-ons.   The only Add-ons are Java, Adobe, One Note, Smart Notebook, and Shockwave.   None of those would cause stability problems.   I have taken a computer and wipe the drive clean and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7.  Next, I ran all of your typical Window Updates and finally installed Internet Explorer 11. Once I started using IE 11, guess what?   CRASH!  

I am fully aware that you need to upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer for security reasons and close any browser holes that may be hidden.  

I have seen a computer running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9 run fine.   The moment I upgraded the browser to Internet Explorer 11, CRASH.   You tell me how you can run IE 9 without any problems and you upgrade to IE 11 and suddenly you have stability problems.  

Again, something had to change in Internet Explorer 11.

103 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

Have you actually tried running Internet Explorer in safe mode? You never know, maybe one of them add-ons might be causing the problem. Have you also run Microsoft Fix?

Cheers,

Leo

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Try the suggestions by the Life Boats , particularly running IE in no add-on modes as add-ons are a frequent cause of IE instability and crashes.

I would also clear the browser history (in IE press Ctrl + Shift + Delete to access).

Failing that I suggest that you back up your personal data as a precaution then do a reset of IE11:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11-win-7  .

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem, except I cant open IE11 at all !

How can I reinstall it ?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem, except I cant open IE11 at all !

How can I reinstall it ?

Hi moggadon

I split your previous post off into its own thread here:

IE11 won't open   .

Please reply in that thread where someone has already responded to you.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I have been running IE 11 on Windows 7 64 bit Premium too. Lately some sites just crash IE and force it to restart. I don't care to mess around trying to fix. I went back to IE 10 and have had no problems. Yes, maybe it is a add on or something with Compatibility. But I find downgrading a much faster solution to the problem. This is obviously a IE 11 issue as Windows 8 users have had similar issues. You can see the effects in browser stats as IE has seen a consistent and steady drop in overall users. I guess people are just tired of the mess and find switching browsers a better option.

I can't say I blame them.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's terrible. I have a service contract with a  Microsoft Certified technician for my business and it's a constant battle with having to add sites to compatibility view. It crashes all the time even when sites are listed in compatibility view. And no, I do not have any unusual add ins, everything is the same as when I had 8 and 9. I now use Google Chrome for business that and programs that do not require me to use IE 11. This is tough because I am in the travel industry and most of our programs are Windows based and are only compatible with IE. It's very frustrating to be in the middle of something, have it crash, lose everything I had been working on for over an hour. I hope that something is done relatively soon because it's a complete time and money waster.

Sorry this didn't help.

do not have any unusual add ins, everything is the same as when I had 8 and 9.

That could be a clue that you should uninstall them and start over in the new environment, perhaps getting newer, more compatible, versions of them.  

Alternatively, get more details from your crashes.  Unfortunately, we no longer get all the details that drwtsn32.log used to provide automatically and often the crash occurs in a victim module (e.g. a low level module which trusts its callers too much) so the so-called Error Signature is unlikely to be a sufficient clue but there are tools you can use to extract those extra details such as Stack Back Trace and list of loaded modules from the dumps that each crash will be creating.

BTW another cause of your problem symptom is interference from other programs that you have installed but which are not explicitly classed as conventional add-ons and hence whose effects may not be changed merely by testing in No Add-ons mode.  So, for that case, we recommend that users try doing "clean-boot" troubleshooting.  The first, simplest step of that would be testing in a safe mode boot (assuming the problem scenario can be tested in that environment) or at least simulating as much as possible the conditions of a safe mode boot by using msconfig (or other tools) to disable what you have starting automatically when you boot your OS.  Etc.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Sorry this didn't help.

Question from a Windows Phone expert who is having this issue with his wife's laptop while trying to get her Office365 subscription loaded for her birthday (I mainly wanted her to have Outlook and some extra storage for her 1020): Why would I need to back up personal data just to reset a program? Do you mean personal data like saved passwords? Or do you seriously mean backing up all pictures, music, documents, etc. stored on the laptop's harddrive?

Sorry this didn't help.