Installing IE11 prevents "Get updates for other Microsoft products" from working

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). Problem and fix reproduced on multiple computers.

As part of our testing of IE11 deployment, we have noticed that apparently, Internet Explorer 11 browser is not properly recognized and Microsoft Update cannot be enabled through the link in Control Panel.

To reproduce: perform fresh Win 7 install. Go to Windows Updates in control panel and install only IE11. After a reboot go again to Windows Updates and try to enable Microsoft Update.

The link in control panel Windows Updates takes you to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70156

When the site loads, it misdetects IE11 for prior version of IE (I think 5?) and does not proceed to offer the upgrade but directs you to use the link in Control Panel saying we already have Windows Update. I think it presumes the old version of IE that the site detects means we are using an older OS.

Adding microsoft.com to the compatibility list of IE11 allows the upgrade from Windows Update to Microsoft Update to proceed as expected.

Was not sure what is the proper way to report this so I am asking it as a question.

Hi Vladi,

Thank you for sharing the feedback on Internet Explorer 11 and the work around for the issue stated. Much appreciated!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This issue was reported during Windows 8.1 beta and was corrected by adding the Microsoft domain to the Microsoft Compatibility list. If you check your IE11 settings, under Tools / Compatibility View Settings you should have the option  "Use Microsoft compatibility lists" checked. This will help solve this particular problem. In the screen below, you will find the default settings.

So, the fix to address your reported problem is to"

- Make sure the browser is using the default Compatibility View settings

- Add the site to the Compatibility View

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). Problem and fix reproduced on multiple computers. As part of our testing of IE11 deployment...

This is a Consumer-specific forum.

You will find appropriate support in the Win7 IT Pro forums => http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home#category=w7itpro

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a Consumer-specific forum.

You will find appropriate support in the Win7 IT Pro forums => http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home#category=w7itpro

PA Bear,

Since I did not (at that time) find any reference about this online, I figured posting for posterity in case anybody else runs into the problem. Even if I referred to finding the issue while in a business environment, the resolution and cause are applicable to consumer versions of Win 7 as well. With that said, thanks for sharing the link to the "Win7 IT Pro" forum.

====

AXELRMSFT,

The default settings were not changed in our case. It is not unlikely that the automatic download of the compatibility list was scheduled but had not occurred yet. In my case apparently, the download did not start even after 4-5 reboots, as probably there was little idle time. IE 11 surprised other MS services as well and was being misdetected but these got fixed within a month of release.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Vladi N, thanks a lot for this solution!

I appreciate it a lot!

Sorry this didn't help.

This isn't working for me.  Added Microsoft.com to the list, checked both boxes.  Am getting the following message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Update could not be installed on your computer
Make sure that you log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group, and then try again.

More troubleshooting options
  • If your computer is connected to a network and the problem persists, contact your system administrator to see if your Microsoft Update settings are managed using group policy.
  • If your computer is not connected to a network, or if your system administrator has not disabled Microsoft Update, check if the Windows Update service is disabled or stopped. To see how to start a service, search Help and Support on your computer.

Note: If you experience problems with installing Microsoft Update, you can continue to get updates for your computer by going to Windows Update in Control Panel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am logged in as the administrator.  Don't know if the Update settings are managed using a group policy or not.  This process if very frustrating!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft Update could not be installed on your computer
Make sure that you log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group, and then try again.

You may be seeing the effects of an ongoing malware infection (or worse).

Feel free to begin your own, new thread about your computer & problem to avoid confusion. Thank you.

See...

• HOW TO begin your own, new thread about your computer & problem
       http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Page/faq#faqAskQuestion1

• What information to post in the Windows Update forum
       http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/1467f44b-ee27-4f7d-98d7-f1c4b35b3395

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2020 Views 8,119 Applies to:

Related Forums