Iexplore.exe keeps trying to open

All of my pinned tabs such as FireFox, Chrome, and MS Office, etc. on Start Menu and Task Bar now have IE logo and the "downloads" folder keeps popping up asking whether to run or save iexplore.exe. I attempted to stop it using the task manager and even restarted the computer but same problem. Any sugestions? I was using IE 11 in Win 7.
Answer
Answer

Hello Dan,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Forum.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

1. Did you make any recent changes on your computer?
  2. Are you downloading some application or software from IE?
  3. Have you close all the web page opened through Internet Explorer 11?
  4. Have you restarted the computer and check the status?

Try the steps provided below and see if it works for you.

Method 1

If you are getting this error message it means there might be chance that icon cache is corrupted, so I would suggest you to rebuild them and for that you may refer to the steps provided below.

In Windows 7 and Windows Vista, this IconCache.db file is located at:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

If you need to rebuild the Icon cache, Open File Explorer > Folder Options > Views to show Hidden System Files. Next, go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local folder and delete the hidden IconCache.db file. Reboot. This action will purge and rebuild the icon cache.

Method 2

If issue still persists I would suggest you to try the steps provided in the following Microsoft article.

When you run an .exe file on a Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program

You may try to run the fixit provided in the article or if you want you may try the manual steps.

Important:This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

You can use the following link in order to back up and restore the registry in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2020 Views 1,666 Applies to:

Related Forums