IE11 Does not support video playback on Twitter videos

I use Windows 7 Home Premium and have IE11. I do not wish to upgrade to Windows 10. I have updated my flash and java, managed my add-ons and followed all the suggestions I could find on Google. Sometimes videos WILL play in Twitter, but most of the time it says, "This browser does not support video playback". Where do I go from here? I'm on Twitter a lot so I am very frustrated. Thanks for the help!

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2019 Views 54,094 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Having same frustrating  problem. Always used to play, problem only started today.

1878 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, mine just started too! I hope someone can answer this problem since we probably aren't the only ones.

105 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing issues using Internet explorer and getting an error message.

When you experience problems playing videos in Internet Explorer, these problems may be caused by a number of different issues. Most video playback uses Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, or Java, and these platforms require Internet Explorer add-ons in order to play. By making sure that you have the latest updates installed for Windows, Internet Explorer, and any Internet Explore.

Please try the following methods which will help you fix the issue with videos in Internet Explorer 11.

Method 1: Why won't videos play in Internet Explorer? at:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-11-win-7

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

Method 2: Videos won’t play in Internet Explorer (holds good for Internet explorer 11 also) at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532294/en-us

Method 3: Fix site display problems with Compatibility View at:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11-win-7

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

58 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also running in a Windows 7, IE 11 environment.

I have followed many of the instructions within the above links and none of them helped. I still receive the message 

"This browser does not support video playback.". Not sure what to do from here... Any help would be appreciated. FYI: My environment is very complex and I do not have complete access to change all settings.

All versions to Flash, Java, and Silverlight were current. Compatibility mode did not help.

I would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Joe

30 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I tried everything you suggested on all of the web pages that you listed. I even reinstalled everything and reset my IE11. I still get the same error message on Twitter videos saying that my browser doesn't support video playback. This is getting pretty frustrating. I see that it also did not help another IE user, so where do we go from here? I'm about to switch to Chrome. At least that one plays.

64 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Unfortunately, I can't change browsers easily. My company has over 200,000 employees worldwide. It takes enormous coordination and effort for the company to rollout and supported another browser. I really want to get this working for the company using Win. 7, IE11. So, I hope Microsoft can help us through this issue.

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to further this discussion, I noticed that the .mp4 video file uploaded to Twitter is changed to a .m3u8 file...When I try to play my video in the Twitter feed then right mouse click on the video and select "View Source", I noticed I couldn't find the mp4 file. But I did find an m3u8 file. After researching this in the Twitter Community (twittercommunity.com) and search on .m3u8, I discovered Twitter is retiring MP$ Video output August 1, 2016. Url to the notification is: https://twittercommunity.com/t/retiring-mp4-video-output/66093. For those not able to get to the community, below is the announcement an I wonder if this is the issue because my code currently shows .m3u8 file when viewing the source...

"Beginning August 1, 2016, MP4 URLs will be removed from the payload of Tweets that contain video. Twitter website, iOS and Android applications as well as the Fabric SDK have been updated to solely use adaptive streaming. HLS URLs (.m3u8) will remain unchanged and applications currently using MP4 URLs for video playback should move to using these HLS URLs instead. We are making these changes because adaptive streaming provides a higher quality experience for users by delivering more reliable playback, faster start times, and more efficient data usage across variable network conditions.

One week after MP4 URLs have been removed from the Tweet payload, requests for MP4 videos will no longer be served.

This change is supported in Twitter Kit for iOS v1.15.1 and Twitter Kit for Android v1.13.1, and all subsequent versions. If you’re running an older version of Twitter Kit, please updated the latest release to ensure video playback is maintained.

All related documentation and examples will be updated in advance of this update. As usual, you can reach us via @TwitterDev8, or ask longer technical questions in the Media APIs50 category of the community forums.

Thanks,
Matt Dennebaum
Product Manager for Media Platform"

What "jbulava" from the Twitter staff stated for those using "Video on the Web" is:

"For display on web, our embedded Tweets, embedded timelines and embedded video2 tools are the easiest way to display Tweets with video. You can grab an embed code from a Tweet on twitter.com or use the Tweet URL to integrate it programmatically with the oEmbed API endpoint.

A video in a Tweet can also be easily integrated as a player. You can take advantage of the JavaScript factory function3 to render a clean, full-bleed video in your page. HLS playback is supported in all embedded products..."

Maybe this is the problem in our Win 7, IE11 environments  - not being able to decipher .m3u8 files.

A clarification on hoe to use the .m3u8 url would be nice. I converted an .mp4 file into a .m3u8 file and tried uploading it to my Twitter Timeline, but it didn't work. The Twitter Timeline only accepts .MP4 files.

Regards,

Joe

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

IE 11, Win7 x64, twitter videos do not play - displaying the message:

"This browser does not support video playback"

I've tried everything suggested and nothing has worked.

Videos play in Chrome Version 49.0.2623.87. 
However I am forced to use IE for compatibility with other websites.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peggy74,

There seems to be many folks experiencing this issue. I just wish someone from Twitter or Microsoft would speak up and provide a solution.

This has been a problem in my environment for several weeks now. I hope a resolution comes soon.

Please share if you find a solution.

Thank you.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Agree Joe. Good to know I'm not the only one who's annoyed & frustrated that this has been going on for too long and the Twitter & Microsoft are seemingly oblivious to the problem. So much for their customer service!!!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.