IE 11 Opens Links in a Blank Tab

Windows updates installed IE 11 and now when I click on any link that is supposed to appear in a new tab, I get a Blank Page/Tab.  This happens on any web page that opens in a new page, including Microsoft.com website.  I am using Windows 7 and IE 9 and everything worked fine.  This very problem happened when Windows updates installed IE 10.  My computer came with both IE 9, 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed.  I know that this problem exists when using the IE 9-32 bit version (which I discovered several years ago).  I use the IE 9-64 bit version and like I mentioned, works fine.  Also, I can run Google Chrome with no problems.

Is there really a fix for this problem or do I need to uninstall IE 11 and go back to what I know works.

Question Info

Last updated September 5, 2018 Views 8,898 Applies to:
Answer

[1] I have uninstalled IE11 and have gone back to my IE9, 64 bit version that works.

[2] When this computer was purchased, it had both IE9, 32 bit & 64 bit versions installed.  The 32 bit version has the same problem as described above, but the 64 bit version works fine.

A1. Did you uninstall IE9 after you completed the multi-step fix?

A2. Are you saying that opening a link in a new tab or window using IE9 32-bit results in a blank/empty tab or window but that opening the link in a new tab or window using IE9 64-bit opens to the desired linked page?

DISCUSSION:

Cite:

When you install IE10 or IE11 on a Win7 64-bit computer, you still have 32-bit & 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer installed but any new IE window you open will be the 32-bit version unless you've enabled the Enhanced Protected Mode option.

Getting back to the multi-step fix, it may have been too late for the McAfee removal tool to "come to the rescue" here. If such is the case, you'd need to do a Repair Install (AKA startup repair; AKA in-place upgrade) of Win7 - or possibly even a clean install of Win7.

The "links opening in blank tabs/windows" behavior is associated with Norton "leftovers." The fix I gave you almost always resolves the problem - especially if a McAfee application had never been installed (or preinstalled).

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.