IE 11 excessive memory and CPU usage

I'm using IE 11 on my Toshiba laptop that's running Windows 7x64 SP1. It has a third-generation i3 processor, 750 GB hard drive and 16 GB of RAM. After I use IE 11 for a while the memory usage keeps increasing as the CPU usage for one of the Internet Explorer processes of which there are only 2 or 3 open. I tried reinstalling everything, turning off all add-ins, resetting Internet Explorer etc. nothing seems to affect the problem. I can't identify exactly when the problem began but I went back to the farthest back system restore I had in the problem still exists there.

Here's a screenshot from Process Explorer showing what I'm experiencing:

In this case the memory usage isn't excessively high yet but it climbs to about 1.4 GB before everything quits working correctly? The IR command program you see is an automation program to control an infrared system and the KB Pro software is an add-in for Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I've had both of those turned off for testing and it didn't affect anything.

Any help is appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2019 Views 27,896 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I apologize for the delayed response. I appreciate your efforts to fix this issue.

I suggest you try the steps below and then, check the issue.

Step 1

To know if it is an add-on problem, start Internet Explorer without add-ons. Refer the steps below to do that.

1. Click Start, and then type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box.
2. Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons). Internet Explorer opens without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.

3. Test Internet Explorer to verify that it works correctly.

If the issue does not persist when you run Internet Explorer without add-ons, then clearly the issue is with add-on or add-ons. Proceed to next step to troubleshoot the problem.

Step 2

Now try the steps below to find which add-on or add-ons are creating the issue.

1. Open Internet Explorer and click on the Tools button, and then tap or click Manage add-ons.

2. Disable all the add-ons.

3. Enable each add-on one by one and check the performance of Internet Explorer.

4. Once you find the add-on that is creating the problem, disable it in the Manage Add-Ons window.

You also may refer the article below.

Manage add-ons in Internet Explorer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons 

Hope this information helps. Otherwise, please write to us, we will be glad to assist you further.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.