How can I display Javascript errors in the status bar in IE11?

I just finally got upgraded to Windows 7 and I'm using IE11 now to create some JavaScript based forms for work. In the older versions of IE if there was an error in the code a little yellow caution flag showed up in the status bar and immediately told me what line the error was on. This was helpful for finding typos or misplaced brackets or anything simple that might've been causing the code to be read incorrectly.

I cannot for the liofe of me figure out how to get this notiofication to work in IE11. The debugger tools are wrthless. They take up too much space and don't provide quick and easy infomration I need.

Anyone know how to get this to display????

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2019 Views 11,893 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

similar to other web browsers IE9 and higher do not automatically show all javascript error messages in a alert box or in the status bar.

by default the setting "Display notification about all script errors on web pages" (Advanced tab of Internet Options) is unchecked....

Non Developer users should leave that setting unchecked.

For web site developers select

Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Allways record error console messages"

Load you website, then press f12 to display the Developer tool.. any errors that have occurred will be listed in the Developer tool console.

or

Display the Developer tool, selecting the Debug tab,

select an option on the dropdown on that tab, 'Break on all exceptions' or 'Break on unhandled exceptions'.

Return to your testing webpage, refresh it or fill the form in and submit it.... any scripting errors will cause the debugger to break and display the error (no and message) and give the file and line no. where it occurred.... click on the error message to jump directly to the line no. where the error is occurring.

For more information about using IE's developer tools for debugging web pages see

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/html5/tutorials/script-debugging-using-the-internet-explorer-developer-tools.html

Rob^_^ wang'you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

developer tools. It freezes up all the time and takes up too much of the screen. All I need is an alert that tells me what line the problem is on.

All you need to do is unpin the DT from the page so you can move its window to another monitor.  It will stay there for the next time too.  Then as Rob mentioned use the Console tab for your messages (Ctrl-2).  It will stay as your last used tab too.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.