getting message that IE browser is not supported by Goodle Maps, JavaScript API

I am using Windows 7, IE 11.0.9600....  I receive automatic updates for IE, so I know it is up to date.   IE is my DEFAULT browser, although I do have Mozilla and Chrome on my laptop. 

I was doing a lookup requiring zipcode and received message "You are using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps, JavaScript API.  Consider changing your browser."   I tried the same lookup using Mozilla and Chrome and did not get the message. 

Also, while using IE, I have received messages like "your browser is not up to date" and saying something about not being secure on a certain website.  Although I have received a few of these, I cannot pinpoint them at this time. 

There are some websites that simply do not function correctly with IE.  I now have a list of websites where I need to use Mozilla or Chrome. 

Is IE not being kept up to date with new technology?  Is it time for me to abandon IE as my default browser? 

Answer
Answer

I am using Windows 7, IE 11.0.9600....  I receive automatic updates for IE, so I know it is up to date.   IE is my DEFAULT browser, although I do have Mozilla and Chrome on my laptop. 

As I mentioned in your other thread your assumption would be on firmer ground if you tested it.   ; }

Your other symptoms might have simple explanations by considering the User-Agent string that IE11 now uses versus what a site is expecting and that could be only what testing with different browsers is proving. 

As Don pointed out Compatibility view is just an extreme example of a change in User-Agent string that these days is often not helpful.  So, you could use the IE11 Developer Tools, Emulation tab to try finding a different combination of User-Agent string and Document mode which a site shows is more to its liking.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2020 Views 11,170 Applies to:

Related Forums