'Enhanced Protected Mode' option missing in IE 11 on Windows 7?

Hi, I hear and read about this Enhanced Protected Mode in Internet Explorer that gives additional protection over the 'Protected Mode' available under 'Security' tab. Now, the problem is, I don't see the option for EPM under Advanced Tab, where it is supposed to be, to enable or disable as per choice.

There was a recent update from windows that said EPM would be disabled by default with that particular update. I suspect, the update could have removed the option? I don't think so, because MS said, we can still enable it if we like. But I don't even see the option!

My system is Windows 7 ultimate 32 Bit with Internet Explorer 11.

Check the screen

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2019 Views 14,383 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I appreciate your detailed description on the query.

I would like to enlighten you with a few facts about running Internet Explorer 11 on a Windows 7 32-bit system.

Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) adds additional security to Protected Mode and includes AppContainer and 64-bit tabs. With AppContainer is turned on, IE11 checks the add-on registration for an AppContainer compatible flag. If it's present, the BHO or toolbar loads and runs. If it isn't present, the BHO or toolbar is blocked, and the user is notified of the EPM incompatibility.

Now, tabs running in Enhanced Protected Mode on Windows 8 run inside an AppContainer. On Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, AppContainer does not exist, so EPM only enables 64bit tabs on a 64bit OS. (That also means that enabling EPM on a 32bit Windows 7 system doesn’t do anything, because a 32bit Windows 7 system supports neither 64bit nor AppContainer).

On the other hand, Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) and AppContainer turned on by default in Internet Explorer 11.

[Refer to the section Features for IT professionals in the article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dn269977.aspx]

Additional information:

Enhanced Protected Mode problems with Internet Explorer

Group policy objects and Internet Explorer 11 (IE11)

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Harkanwar

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.