Disappearing scroll bar on websites

One thing I find irritating about IE11 is that, on some sites (but not this one!), the scroll bar disappears after a few seconds. When viewing a long page, I tend to keep the mouse pointer on the "down arrow" at the bottom of the scroll bar, then just press the button whenever I need to scroll down. Now I have to move the pointer then, when the scroll bar reappears, move it back to the arrow.

Is there any way to stop this happening?

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2018 Views 110,613 Applies to:
Answer

Hi All,

There is a solution to this that I have tested on a few sites and seems to be a fix. I have only tested with Win7 IE11 but I suspect it will work for Win 8 as well.

I remembered that in IE you can set your own style sheet, that is used for every website. If you want every website to have a 'hot pink' background that is your decision and no one should try and stop you.

To fix this problem create a text file somewhere you won't forget it and somewhere you won't delete it accidentally. I called mine mainstyle.css but I'm not a creative person. Inside this text file just put one line:

@-ms-viewport{width:auto!important}

Save the file. Open IE and press Alt-T then O to open Tools>Internet Options or click on the cog icon in the top right corner and choose Internet Options, if you have that. In the Internet Options window click on the Accessibility button at the bottom. Tick the box labelled "Format documents using my style sheet". Browse to the file you just created. Restart IE. Hopefully that's fixed it. Please let us know if it doesn't work on every site for every OS/Browser version.

In case you are wondering just add this line to your text file below the one you entered above:

body {background-color: hotpink;}

That won't work on every website unfortunately if they have background images and suchlike.

Thanks

Ben

136 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.