can't stop IE11 pop-up as it doesn't respond

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with an annoying little problem, to get rid of a repeating Microsoft pop-up which doesn't respond when I click on it.

About a week ago, when I opened Internet Explorer there was a pop-up window entitled 'Internet Explorer 11 - Choose your home page and search settings'.

I duly chose to keep my current settings, and clicked 'Done'. But nothing happened. The window did not respond to my clicking so I had to close it. The pop-up window now reappears every time I open Internet Explorer, but it still never responds when I click 'Done'.

I can change the selection between 'Microsoft settings' and 'Your current settings' but clicking 'Done' achieves nothing. It also doesn't respond if I click the 'Click here to learn more' link.

The only way I can close the window is to click the red X close button in the top-right corner. However, this presumably doesn't save my (unchanged) settings in the way that Microsoft want, so the pop-up just reappears every time I open IE.

The window appears to be a genuine Microsoft window from when IE11 launched. From my research, it seems it may be a recent update KB3148198 which has made the pop-up reappear for a number of people. So, I don't think it's a virus or malware, but I can find no record of anyone having the same problem I've got.

So, does anyone know how I can get the 'Done' button to work? I suspect that if I can just click 'Done' and have it recognised, Microsoft will be satisfied and stop displaying the annoying pop-up window.

I have a Dell XPS with Windows 7 Home Premium 2009 - V6.1 (Build 3601; Service Pack 1).

- Internet Explorer 11, Version: 11.0.9600.18282, Update Versions: 11.0.30 (KB3148198)

Many thanks,

Bewley

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2019 Views 4,989 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Has the computer been restarted since the message appeared?

Open IE in no add-ons mode. If the message appears, see if you can get "Done" to work.

Open Run from [Windows logo key + r] Type in iexplore.exe -extoff (iexplore.exe<space>-extoff) then hit Enter. This will open Internet Explorer in no add-ons mode.

Don

25 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.