Internet Explorer error: An error has occurred in the script on this page

I keep getting this script error and it refuses to close.......am posting an image here so it is easier to see the problem.

Original Title: Script error

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the issue is with a particular website or all the websites.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type “Regsvr32 urlmon.dll” (without quotes) and press Enter.

3. When prompted with the DllRegisterServer I urlmon.dll succeeded message, click OK.

Also, refer the link below for more information and troubleshooting regarding the error.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/308260

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

I did as you said and got DllRegisterServer I urlmon.dll succeeded message.

As I opened MSN page I got this error?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I keep getting script errors when I open IE 11 as I am now on windows 10 preview evaluation build 10565 pro.

I tried resetting IE in internet options but then I got this error

then again I tried and it also does not go away even if you click on yes or no and I have to start task manager to close.

another script error

another one

This problem is in IE only.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello TrevorMaz,

Thank you for keeping us posted and providing us with the screenshots.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your help in trying to fix the issue.

There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to incorrect Internet Explorer settings in the system.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

1. Press the ‘Windows key + W’ key on the keyboard.

2. Type Troubleshooter in the Search box and then press Enter.

3. Select Troubleshooting. Click on View All and select Internet Explorer Performance.

4. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

How to runInternet Explorer without add-ons”, please follow the steps given below.

1. Click the “Start” button.

2. Click “All Programs”.

3. Click “Accessories”.

4. Click “System Tools”, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Note: Add-ons can sometimes cause browsers to run slowly and crash, or they might pose a security or compatibility risk. You can turn off specific add-ons to help increase your browsing speed, or if you suspect they are causing problems for Internet Explorer. You can also remove add-ons that you are no longer using from your PC.

If the issue persists, follow method 3

I would suggest you to refer to the steps in the article given below.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

Note: The above steps holds good for windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could not solve my problems, but did not remove all of the add-on I have.

They might be the cause.

Thanks, P{ierre

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran into a similar problem and finding a solution was painful.  

The first thing to try is to open the  Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog and make sure that you have:

Checked:   Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer) 

Checked:   Disable Script Debugging (Other)

Unchecked: Display a notification about every script error

This may solve the problem for you.  It didn't for me.  For me it turned out to be related to the Google Toolbar.   I disabled it and that eliminated the messages.  

To disable the Google Toolbar:

Tools->Manage add-ons
Select Toolbars and Extensions
Right-click:  "Google Toolbar" -> Disable
Right-click:  "Google Toolbar Helper" -> Disable

*Now, close all instances of IE (or reboot your system) before launching IE again

*IE processes seem to get orphaned a lot so you may need to use the Task manager to kill them.   Yes, you read that right, I'm advocating the killing of orphans.  I'm a very bad man.

While this eliminated the annoying messages, it left me without my beloved Google Toolbar.  After a few days of suffering without it, I decided to re-enable it and hack a solution.   To that end, I wrote a very simple program that runs in the background and looks for the script error dialogs.  When it finds one, it immediately closes it without user interaction.   As I say, it's a hack solution to the problem but it works (and should work no matter what the root causes of the script error messages is). 

If you want to give it a try, I put a copy here:

ScriptKiller ( http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05910272191169748041 )

The SHA256 for the exe file is: 0a5eb38e97059718a61c39a3e197150849aafeaf894fbdd71a1f3c4253722d81

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the issue is with a particular website or all the websites.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type “Regsvr32 urlmon.dll” (without quotes) and press Enter.

3. When prompted with the DllRegisterServer I urlmon.dll succeeded message, click OK.

Also, refer the link below for more information and troubleshooting regarding the error.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/308260

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Not sure why the script errors started to display, but these errors were occurring on sites that required my username and password and most of them were require high security to log into the accounts. So many of the sites, such as MSN.com and other sites that do not require username and password do not experience these script errors. It seems only display the alerts when attempting to log into sites that require usernames and passwords. I thought this tad bit of info may help resolve the issue in future builds.

In any case, I followed your suggestions and for now, it seems to be working for me. I log into the site that this alert was displaying and after following your advice, the script error no longer occurred on this site. I will follow up on further incidences as they occur. But for now, it seems this issue has been resolved by using your technique above. Thanks.

Don't back down when you are right!

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank Eeshwar, I had been experiencing the problem "An error has occurred in the script on this page" on many webpages since I upgraded to the Windows 10 operating system about 4 months ago and had tried many ways of fixing it without success. However after following the 3 steps in your advice above I have finally cured this irritating and time consuming problem.

These forums are a great way of finding fixes to issues. I am sure that many others will also benefit from your advice.

I would add that some of the other actions that I had taken prior to trying this fix were as follows:

When on a webpage, Press Alt and select Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and then ensure that the following have ticks in the boxes:

Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)

Display a notification about every error

Use smooth scrolling

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, the above fixed worked for a couple of days but I am now back to get the script errors almost every time I used the computer on about 30% of all websites. I am using Windows 10 and never had the problem on Windows 8.1. I prefer using Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge for browsing but may well have to use another browser if it persists. I have tried Firefox and it never happens on there. I have tried all the remedies listed here but none have solved the issue permanently. Surely the might of Microsoft can come up with a solution???

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Absolutely agree. None of these fixes work. Surely it cannot be beyond the wit of Microsoft to download something. Perhaps they just don't have the expertise!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2020 Views 9,025 Applies to:

Related Forums