Question

Q: Internet Explorer (and Edge) "can't find this page" for some web sites

Hi All,

can someone shed any light on this problem I'm getting with Internet Explorer 11 (version 11.296.15063.0, update version 11.0.42). The problem is that there are at least two websites that I can't access, I keep getting the "can't reach this page" page displayed with the error code INET_E_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT. First of all I should tell you that I've just recently updated my desktop computer's Windows 10 version from 'Home' to 'Pro'. Before then I had no problem accessing the websites.

I have another laptop which is still running Windows 10 'Home' and I can access the website with that no problem. I also get the same error using Edge to access the websites and, out of desperation, I downloaded Firefox and that couldn't access the particular site I'm trying to get to - it said "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading".

From what I can gather there seems to be a few "can't reach this page" problems with Edge. Does anybody know what's going on here and how to fix it?

All help much appreciated,

RobDev

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Rob,

There are several reasons why you were unable to log on to certain websites using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. We suggest that you check an answer on this thread from Sudheendra S posted on June 30, 2015. You can also find interesting feedback and workarounds from the community on this discussion.

Should you have further questions, feel free to post them on this thread.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

12 people were helped by this reply

Hi Jefferson,

many thanks for your reply. I have been checking (and still am - there's a lot on entries) the thread you sent me but there's a lot that aren't relevant to me and the fixes I've tried don't seem to work. The thing I find very suspicious is the fact the I had no problems with IE (or Edge for that matter) until I upgraded Windows 10 from 'Home' to 'Pro'. Also, many of the people who replied to the thread didn't seem to have any problems when using another browser (usually Firefox or Chrome) but, as I mentioned, I couldn't access the website in question using Firefox either which makes me think that maybe there's some setting somewhere that needs adjusting. The thing is; what is that setting? Failing that, is there any way of obtaining diagnostic info from IE11?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

In this case, we suggest that you run the Windows App Troubleshooter to find and fix app issues in Windows 10. You can download the troubleshooter here.

We also suggest creating a new user/local account on your PC to see if this issue also happens on a different user profile. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

1. On Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional editions:
    1. Select the Start Windows logo Start button button, then select Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC
    2. Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.
  2. On Windows 10 Enterprise edition:
    1. Select the Start Windows logo Start button button, then select Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Accounts > Other people > Add someone else to this PC.
    2. At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and at the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    3. Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.
  3. To make the new account an administrator account, select Start Windows logo Start button > SettingsGear-shaped Settings icon > Account > Family & other people (or Other people, if you're using Windows 10 Enterprise), and select Change account type. Under Account type, select Administrator > OK. Restart your machine and sign in with the new administrator account. 

If you have additional questions, please let us know.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Hi Jefferson,

many thanks for your reply. The Windows App Troubleshooter only seems to fix problems with the App Store but I don't have any problems with the App Store. Also, I have tried using another account but I still get the same error.

The sites that I'm failing to access are HTTPS sites, could this have anything to do with it? Do you know if there Is any way to run a diagnostic trace on IE (or Edge for that matter) to try and track down what's happening here?

I can't help feeling that this has something to do with the upgrade fro 'Home' to 'Pro' but I can't imagine what.

A quick but vital update: I've just tried (again - out of desperation) to access the main website I was failing to access before and I can now access it with no problems (well, no problems so far). This is really confusing. Do you have any ideas as to what is going on here?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Hi Jefferson,

further to my last reply, I've just tried accessing the website I was failing to connect to before yesterday and which I managed to connect to yesterday and, guess what, I failed to connect to it today. I get the same error (i.e. INET_E_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT) so, do you (or anyone else) have any idea what's going on here? I'm getting a bit desperate here.

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sorry this didn't help.

To further troubleshoot the issue with your browsing issues with Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this article. The steps will help you change the default Keep-Alive time-out value in your Internet Explorer. But before you proceed, please create a backup in your system for security purposes.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jefferson,

sorry for not replying sooner, I've been a bit busy with other things. I've tried the KeepAliveTimeout solution as stated in your link but that had no effect. I'm still getting the "can't reach this page" message with the INET_E_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT error code. As I mentioned before, I'm getting the equivalent error with Firefox so I can't see that it's just an IE problem. Is there no way to monitor exactly what's going on here with IE?

I should also mention (in case it's important) when I was able to access the main website that was failing I did get the 'google' version of "can't reach this page" when I logged out of the website. Logging out should have directed me to another of the main website's pages but, it seems, that as I had accessed the website through a 'google' link google intercepted and displayed the error. Either way, there seems to be something very strange going on here. If you (or anyone else) have any ideas as to how to fix this I'd be most grateful.

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jefferson,

further to my last reply, I've just tried logging into the account I have with my ISP (their bill's just arrived) and I got the same INET_E_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT error code with IE. However, when I tried accessing the website with Firefox it worked, so what's going on there?

By the way when I implemented the KeepAliveTimeout I set the timeout value to 2 minutes but, as I mentioned above, it hasn't worked.

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sorry this didn't help.

Another way to troubleshoot internet browsing issues is to restore your system's Domain Name Servers (DNS) to default. To do this, Simply hold down the Windows key and press R to bring up the Run dialog box then type ipconfig /flushdns then press Enter. (Note: There is a space before the slash)

If you have questions, please let us know.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't help feeling that this has something to do with the upgrade fro 'Home' to 'Pro' but I can't imagine what.

It may help if you told us why you upgraded to Pro.  E.g. there would be the possibility of a lot more services running then, which would be changing the timing.  One very significant difference would be the possibility of trying to use Hyper-V.  I frequently have performance problems which are apparently somehow due to Hyper-V after a cumulative update and so have learned to expect to have to uninstall the update, uninstall Hyper-V and then allow the update to install again before trying to reinstall Hyper-V.

As for monitoring what is going on, you could use Message Analyzer to trace the traffic and ProcMon to see if there is anything unusual happening dispatching wise.  Actually WPR is probably what you should be using but the learning curve with that is what would make me use those other two first.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,852 Last updated: June 16, 2018 Applies to: