Question

Q: How to view temporary internet files in Windows 10 This thread is locked from future replies

After upgrading to Windows 10 from windows 8 I am unable to view the temporary internet files.Where are they located..?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Sridharan,

Thanks for the update and response.

Please answer the below question to assist you better.

Did you make any changes in the Internet settings prior to this issue?

Follow the below steps and check fi it helps.

1. Type Internet Explorer in the search bar and enter.
  2. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
  3. Click the General tab, and then, under Browsing history, click Settings.
  4. In the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings dialog box, click View files.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank You
Anup karkal

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

106 people were helped by this reply

Any files visible following the above indications but disk clean up show a permanent volume of approx. 800 Mb (for Temporary Internet Files) that are not removed by any method (including CCleaner). I have Windows 10 and Internet Explorer. What is going on ?

Thanks,

Sorin

Sorry this didn't help.

14 people were helped by this reply

Hello,

We would like to more about this concern. Kindly answer the following:

• Were you able to search the internet files prior to this concern?
  • Are you getting any error messages when searching the files?
  • Is this the first time you encountered this concern? If so, were there any changes made on the computer before you encountered this concern?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you done?
  • Were you able to follow the instructions provided by Anup Karkal on this thread?

We will be waiting for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

What is going on ?

It depends on your settings in Delete Browsing History.  E.g. in IE press Ctrl-Shift-Delete.   My guess is that you will see  Preserve Favorites website data unchecked.   If you want to delete all of the TIF you need to check both; however, then if you want to preserve Cookies associated with Favorites, make sure that that one is unchecked.

Also, notice that it was convenient to get into that with IE running but that would mean, depending on your Home page, etc. that you might still have something open which could not be deleted.   If that's a problem you can always make sure that nothing else is using the TIF and then start Internet Options separately, e.g. via the Control Panel or via Run...  control.exe  inetcpl.cpl   Then the dialog you would have had opened above is entered via the Delete... button.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,
Thank you in advance.

1. a) Local disk (C:)---------Properties----------General---------Disk cleanup---------Temporary Internet files---------View files

or

b) C:\Users\Sorin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE

I strongly mention that the folder aforementioned is empty !  Only after Disk Cleanup I see on the small window that the row Temporary Internet Files contain a large volume (now 803 MB) of phantom files and this value does not disappear.

2. Any error message.

3.The incident is relatively recent but I cannot remember the date. Also I have not done any intervention to hardware. And to the software I act very rare and I do not remember having done anything suspicious.

4. Any troubleshooting.

5.Yes, of course; I repeat that strangely (for me) the folder does not show anything in it.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Follow the steps below for locating temporary files:

-          Open either Microsoft Internet Explorer or the Windows Control Panel.

-          In Microsoft Internet Explorer, open the Tools menu and choose the Internet Options.

-          In the Temporary Internet Files section of the Internet Properties window, click the "Settings..." button. A new "Settings" window appears.

-          In the "Settings" window, click the "View Files." This will launch a list of all websites you’ve visited, also known as your Temporary Internet Files or Browser Cache.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

1. a) Local disk (C:)---------Properties----------General---------Disk cleanup---------Temporary Internet files---------View files

or

b) C:\Users\Sorin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE

I strongly mention that the folder aforementioned is empty !  Only after Disk Cleanup I see on the small window that the row Temporary Internet Files contain a large volume (now 803 MB) of phantom files and this value does not disappear.

Internet Options> General tab> Browsing History> Delete> uncheck "Preserve Favorites website data" then delete Temporary Internet Files.

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Hello Don,

Thanks.

Do not go in any way ! To be a bug of Windows 10 ? The files folder appears as empty but Disk cleanup indication is dailyapprox. 800 Mb !

----------------I strongly mention that I can delete cookies from folder INet cache !  But after Disk Cleanup I see on the small window that the row Temporary Internet Files contain permanently a large volume (now cca. 803 Mb) of phantom files and this value does not disappear.

Sorin

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Do not go in any way ! To be a bug of Windows 10 ? The files folder appears as empty but Disk cleanup indication is dailyapprox. 800 Mb !

----------------I strongly mention that I can delete cookies from folder INet cache !  But after Disk Cleanup I see on the small window that the row Temporary Internet Files contain permanently a large volume (now cca. 803 Mb) of phantom files and this value does not disappear.

Sorin

Stop looking at  C:\Users\Sorin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE

After doing this

Internet Options> General tab> Browsing History> Delete> uncheck "Preserve Favorites website data" then delete Temporary Internet Files.

are there files in

C:\Users\Sorin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files?

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Don,

I have the folder

C:\Users\Sorin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp; deleting is simple but without influence on my ridiculous problem.

I noticed while working with IE, over the above mentioned limit of 803 Mb the system add further files; using Disk cleanup these new files are deleted but the damned indication of of 803 Mb remain unchanged. A possible relation with Windows Update ?

Thanks !

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 53104 Last updated: January 21, 2018 Applies to: