How to find out the version of Internet Explorer that you are using

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

This article tells you how to find the version of the web browser Internet Explorer (IE) that you are using. It is an important piece of information to know when getting help with IE or checking compatibility. This procedure does not make any changes to your computer whatsoever. It only tells you how to find your IE version.

Details

Applies to:

IE6, IE7 and IE8 on Windows XP

IE7, IE8 and IE9 on Windows Vista

IE8, IE9, IE10 and IE11 on Windows 7

IE10 on Windows 8 and Windows RT

IE11 on Windows 8.1 and Windows RT8.1

IE11 on Windows 10

Note: Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 is a different browser than IE, so this article does not apply to it.

Method

To find your IE version

1.  Open IE.  (If you are using Windows 8/8.1/RT/RT8.1 open IE desktop not IE modern/metro)

2.  Press Alt +h  on your keyboard (at the same time)

3.  Select About Internet Explorer.

You will now see an About Internet Explorer box appear (please see some examples below) . For most purposes the main IE version as shown by the arrows is sufficient. More detailed IE version numbers are rarely needed by the typical home user. For IE6, the IE version does not appear in big letters at the top of the box. Instead please use the first number after the word “Version:”.

See also:

How to find the version of Windows that you are using

How to find Internet Explorer (IE) on Windows 10

Acknowledgements:

Thanks to Jay Freedman for providing the screenshot of the About Internet Explorer box for Internet Explorer 9.

---------------------------------

Disclaimer: You use my posts and forum articles entirely at your own risk. I do not work for Microsoft.

Forum Article Info

Last updated December 11, 2018 Views 36,915 Applies to:

I pressed alt+h and absolutely NOTHING came on the screen.  Please give me more instructions.

Hi

Please confirm that:

• You are using Internet Explorer and not another browser such as the new Edge browser in Windows 10.
  • If you are using Windows 8/8.1/RT/RT8.1 that you open IE desktop not IE modern/metro.