Excessive script errors in Internet Explorer 11

Hi all, since loading win 10 and i.e.11 I get excessive script errors. Is there a compatability problem here. No problems in edge

Original Title: Script errors

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

Script error messages are displayed by Internet Explorer when there is a problem with the JavaScript or VBScript code on the website you are viewing. Occasionally a script error can be caused by an error in downloading a webpage, but more often it is an error in the webpage itself.

I would suggest you to try the steps below to disable script error notifications and check if the issue persists.

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type inetcpl.cpl and press  enter to open advanced internet options.

3. Click the Advanced tab, select the Disable script debugging Internet Explorer) and Disable script debugging (Other) check boxes.

4. Clear the Display a notification about every script error check box, and then click OK.

I would also suggest you to refer to the link for more troubleshooting steps regarding this issue:

How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer

Do get back to us with the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi thanks for your quick reply. I have already doe what you suggest and no good. I then unticked the boxes and started getting debug messages which I do not know how to do, so have ticked the boxes again. I have used "edge" all day and no script errors so is there a problem with ie11 in windows 10? I have never had anything like this Yesterday on a particular sit I had to virtually hold esc and try to close the page. The error was almost constant. My laptop is an HP Envy only a month old so I am assuming the fault is not there.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

To better assist you, do let us know if you have tried the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article "How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer".

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps:

Step 1: No ad-on Mode 

I would suggest you to run internet explorer in no ad-on mode and check if it helps.

1. Press windows key + R to open the run command.
2. Type iexplore.exe –extoff and press enter.
If this doesn't help, please try step 2.

Step 2: Reset Internet Explorer
1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
3. In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
4. Tap or click Reset.

Note Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.

5. When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
6. Exit and then start Internet Explorer.

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting Internet Explorer Settings will reset all user-defined settings including those set by installed extensions, toolbars and other add-ons to IE Defaults. This includes all Security, Privacy and Zone settings. Also this will clear browsing history, delete all temporary Internet Files, cookies, form data and especially all stored passwords

Do let us know the result. We will be glad to assist you further.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are using Google Toolbar, try disabling it.

Tools->Manage add-ons

Select Toolbars and Extensions

Right-click:  "Google Toolbar" -> Disable

Right-click:  "Google Toolbar Helper" -> Disable

Now either shutdown all instances of IE or reboot your system before launching IE again.  I had the same problem as you and after disabling the toolbar the script errors have not returned.

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, thanks for these suggestions. I have already tried enabling extended protection and that helped but did not 100% cure the problem. I disabled add ons and again seemed to help, but I think your last suggestion to reset Explorer has done the trick. I have since then gone back to default settings an re enabled Google Toolbar and " touch wood " all seems to be well. The only slight problem is I cannot get my favourites to stay permanently on the left of my screen where I like it.

Thank you very much for your assistance, much appreciated.

Mailsey

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, can I refer you to my previous post. I tried what you suggested but it did not work, but many thanks for your help

Mailsey

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 4 hours after saying all ok problem is still there so looking again for help please

Mailsey

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi - we had been having this problem on our PC.  We have windows 10 installed, and the script errors were persistent on IE11 only, not affecting Chrome or Edge.  We completely uninstalled Google Toolbar (rather than just disabling it) and had no script errors.  After about a week we decided to try reinstalling the Google Toolbar.  The script errors returned on IE11, so for us at least Google Toolbar is the cause of the problem, without a doubt.  There is obviously some sort of conflict going on there. Perhaps in the fullness of time the glitch will be sorted by an update.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I did exactly the same last weekend and have had no errors so I think we must have found the answer. There must be a conflict between the Toolbar and either ie11 or windows 10. I went into Google help but found nothing of any use so we will have to wait and see if they come up with a fix.

Thanks for your reply

Jack

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2020 Views 24,613 Applies to:

Related Forums