Error message: progid:Internetexplorer.application Application Not Found

I keep getting an error message when I start my computer:

But I do have Explorer, and it works. So what's going on here?

Question Info

Last updated October 27, 2019 Views 3,082 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I think I've a solution for you all:  (thanks to burnout426 in the Opera Forum)

A Registry Key  "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ProgID" seems to be the culprit.See my Machines version below.

This registry Key apparently is set by Opera, Deleting the key i.e. deleting "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ProgID" should fix the issue. 

In my case After reboot I had a dialog to set the default for ProgID again.  I think failed to delete the whole key so I rebooted again, and checked and yes Id left a line of it behind and deleted it then.

All issue with this dialog box now fixed.

BUT - if you reinstall Opera or if not uninstalled and Opera updates, the key reinstates and the problem returns.

I'm not sure exactly why this occurs but I looked over the Windows Dev Centre and I think Opera is setting this key incorrectly.  ProgID is short for Programmatic Identifier Elements, and from my reading should not be used this way..  I'll leave it to the real developer to argue that out. 

NOTE:  there is also a part version of the key in "HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT" it didnt seem to affect my machine buy even so to be safe Delete "HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\ProgID" too if present.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.