Can anyone tell me what HsTSR.exe is please

Original Title: HsTsr.exe 

Can anyone tell me what HsTSR.exe is please.  It came up on my desktop and I blocked it with my antivirus but I now keep getting the message.  Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the pop up message that keeps appearing on my desktop please.

Question Info

Last updated September 1, 2019 Views 1,945 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Audrey,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

1. Which antivirus are you using?
2. Have you installed all pending Windows updates?
3. When exactly do you get the error?

Hstar.exe with description Hidden Start is a process file from company Dell belonging to product hstart.

This issue may also occur if Wininet.dll file is corrupted, as this file is a module which contains Internet Explorer functions.

Yes, Malware can pose as a Windows Update; however, they do not enter through the Microsoft Windows Update notification tool. Malware through a Windows Update file will usually occur when browsing the internet, and you are asked to download a video codec from Windows Update, but, actually, is not from Microsoft. To avoid this, install all of the security updates, as these will keep 85% of all viruses and exploits off of your pc.

Follow the Methods below and check if that helps

Method 1: Run the Microsoft Safety Scanner.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Refer the below link:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Safety Scanner Disclaimer: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate viruses if any.

Method 2: Perform a Clean boot and try to update.

Perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note:  Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.