To change whether the Internet Explorer tile on the Windows 8/8.1/RT/RT 8.1 Start screen opens Internet Explorer Desktop or Modern/Metro

*** This forum article is no longer being updated.  ***

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Applies to: Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8

Internet Explorer 10 on Windows RT

Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1

Internet Explorer 11 on Windows RT 8.1

This forum article explains how to set up your computer so that the Internet Explorer tile on the Start screen opens either IE Modern (also known as IE Metro) or IE Desktop. This article also explains how to set up your computer so that you can choose whether links that you click on open either IE Modern or IE Desktop

Details

Internet Explorer (IE) on Windows 8, 8.1, RT and RT 8.1 comes in two forms:

• IE Modern is the simple, minimalist looking one that is optimised for touch screens and that is accessed from the Internet Explorer tile on the Start screen by default.
  • IE Desktop is the one that looks somewhat like IE9, but is not, and that is accessed from the desktop by default.

This article does not apply to IE10 or IE11 on Windows 7.

This article does not apply to IE11 on Windows 10.

Please do either Section A or Section B of this article – do not do both. You may then additionally do Section C if you wish.

A - To set the Internet Explorer tile to open IE Modern

IE must be set as the default web browser in order for the Internet Explorer tile to open IE Modern. If you have another web browser such as Firefox or Chrome set as the default browser then the Internet Explorer tile will always open IE Desktop – even if you’ve followed Steps 2 to 8 of Section A. Step 1 of Section A therefore ensures that IE is set as the default browser.

1.  Set IE as default web browser

a.       Press  on your keyboard to open the Start screen.

b.       Begin typing Default Programs until you see it appear on the left.

c.       Select Default Programs by left-clicking on it.

d.       Click on Set your program defaults.

e.       Click on Internet Explorer on the left to select it.

f.        Click on Set this program as default.

g.       Click OK.

h.       Exit Default programs by clicking on the X in the top-right.

2.  Press  + D on your keyboard (at the same time) to go to your desktop.

3.  Click on  on your taskbar to open IE Desktop.

4.  Click on the Tools “cog” top right (see below):

5.  Select Internet options (see below):

6.  Click on the Programs tab.

7.  Untick the box for Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop.

8.  Click OK.

B - To set the Internet Explorer tile to open IE Desktop

1.  Press  + D on your keyboard (at the same time) to go to your desktop.

2.  Click on  on your taskbar to open IE Desktop.

3.  Click on the Tools “cog” top right (see below):

4.  Select Internet options (see below):

5.  Click on the Programs tab.

6.  Tick the box for Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop:

7.  Click OK.

C - To set whether links open IE Desktop or IE Modern

1.  Press  + D on your keyboard (at the same time) to go to your desktop.

2.  Click on  on your taskbar to open IE Desktop.

3.  Click on the Tools “cog” top right (see below):

4.  Select Internet options (see below):

5.  Click on the Programs tab.

6.  If you want IE Modern to open links then, from the dropdown menu labeled Choose how you open links (see picture below), select Always in Internet Explorer. Otherwise go to Step 7 below.

7.  If you want IE Desktop to open links then, from the dropdown menu labeled Choose how you open links (see picture below), select Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop.

8.  Click OK.

See Also:

·         How to find out which version of Windows you are using (Wiki)

·         How to find out which version of Internet Explorer you are using  (Wiki)

---------------------------------

If you have problems, you may want to,

Ask a Question

in the relevant Microsoft Community forum.

---------------------------------

Disclaimer: You use my posts and forum articles entirely at your own risk. I do not work for Microsoft.

Forum Article Info

Last updated December 9, 2018 Views 18,806 Applies to:
If I could like this article i would. This solved my main issue with windows 8 and has sent me on my way to becoming a windows 8 lover,

Very useful and clear. Thank you very much!!!

I guess many people don't even know the difference between IE Modern/Metro &  IE Desktop on the latest Windows OSs because of poor information about the two IE versions by Windows.

Thanks for the feedback.  :)

I spent about 2 hours last night looking for any information on how to change "How I view websites on the Start Screen Vs. Desktop"without finding ANY information what so ever. I started again this morning about 10 minutes ago and got my answer, and it was SO easy to do with clear, precise instructions! Thank you SO SO much! I will be headed directly to this site for any future matters instead of wasting my time reading through pages I thought were relevant!

Thank you SO Much!!

Finally, someone with a good answer. Thank you.

Metro is the worst thing Microsoft ever introduced. It should not be the default view, but an optional view and it should not be so difficult to change. If I wanted a computer that worked like a Mac I would buy a Mac; I bought a PC to run Windows. Microsoft should stop being a follower and should begin being a leader again.