Pop-ups are driving me crazy!

Working on my computer used to be fun and relaxing, but no more.  I have no idea what happened but about three months ago I started seeing a pop-up asking me to "allow once" when I clicked a link.  I suppose I can understand this a little but it's what happens next that is driving me nuts.  I can no longer read a page because of pop-ups from overstock.com and others WITH NO WAY TO CLOSE THEM!

I have my pop-up blocker set to high which I thought would take care of all this, but not so.  Seems that any page I am reading is now covered with pop-ups so that I cannot read the intended text.  The only solution I can come up with (with tongue planted very firmly in cheek) is to NEVER patronize those businesses that are ruining my day.

Has anyone experienced this?  Are there solutions?  What do I do?  Please help.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2018 Views 2,705 Applies to:
Answer

Driving us all crazy, Curtis !! 

Couple of things you can do though that will stop some of this..........

At the Start screen type privacy
Select "Privacy Settings"
Turn off everything except "Smart Screen Filter"

Then.....
Click "Manage my Microsoft advertising and other personalization info"

Click "Choose Do you want personalized ads from Microsoft (purple box) and select "Off"

You will probably get a message ..."you can't turn off ads because your browser is set to block 3rd party cookies."  If so, right-click the screen, click the "wrench" icon on the bottom ribbon, and select "view in the Desktop".

On the Desktop, select Tools, Internet Options, Privacy (tab)
Move the slider all the way to the bottom.
Click Apply
Click OK
then.... go to the purple box and it will let you turn ads off.

Afterwards, return to the  Privacy tab and move the slider back where you had it.
Again click APPLY and OK

This will give you SOME relief from these ads. Overstock, etc will not go away immediately, but it eventually will.   Sooner or later though  you will find the purple box has once again "magically"turned itself back on.  This is all part of the plan, I'm afraid, so just turn it all off again. Cost of having Internet these days.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.