Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies

Numerous errors in Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1

WindowsVista567 asked on

Shortly after upgrading to Windows 8.1, I began to encounter numerous errors and problems in Internet Explorer 11. Certain pages do not load correctly, some freeze randomly, and some crash the entire browser, while others work normally. Using the F12 Developer Tools often produces a script error which is caused by the Developer Tools themselves, not the page being accessed. This is related to an invalid directory/file path. These errors did not begin immediately after upgrading to Windows 8.1, but only began one day later. These errors can be eliminated by running Internet Explorer elevated.

Is there a permanent solution to this problem that does not require me to run Internet Explorer as an administrator?

34 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Pinaki Mohanty replied on

Hi,

This issue on Internet Explorer could occur due to Enhanced protected mode enabled for the websites.

Let's turn off the setting and check if it helps us to fix to the issue. 

Follow the steps to do so:

1. Open Internet Explorer for the desktop.

2. Tap or click the Tools button, and then tap or click Internet options.
  3. On the Advanced tab, under Security, uncheck the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode check box.

4. Tap or click OK. You'll need to restart your PC before this setting can take effect.

For reference, you can look for the details from these links below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-security-privacy-settings#ie=ie-11

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/LIBRary/dn321436.aspx

Please let us know if the issue still persists. We will be glad to assist you further.

5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
Matthew Lewis replied on

Does the lack of response from MS mean they have no clue what is causing the problem or they believe it is someone else's problem?  Seems that we should have gotten an answer by now.  IE tells me it is looking for a solution and will shut the page down; however, it just reopens the page and I get the same error (endless cycle).  I have discovered that it happens with any video I attempt to play within IE 11.  I can play video with Chrome with out error. 

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 has not been an easy task.  I am very disappointed in this upgrade as I would have expected it to be a straight forward effort.  However, I had several issues and had to reinstall several programs to get them recognized and working.  It makes no sense to me why MS would produce a minor upgrade that would force a person to reinstall software. I often wonder how MS continues to put out incomplete products on their first attempt after so many years in the business.  It makes you wonder about their prerelease testing and collaboration program?  It also makes me wonder why I am such a big fan of Microsoft and why I should stay this way?

12 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress