Java Plugin add-ons in Internet Explorer 11

I want to find out if I need to add these add-ons or not. Java Plugin SSV Helper and java Plugin 2 SSV Helper. Most of the time I only enable one, the first one. Tech support usually disable them. So, if they disable them regularly, what do I actually need them for?

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2019 Views 17,196 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Susan,

Java TM plug-in SSV helper is a plug-in that belongs to Java. Java is a programming language. You need something called the Java Runtime Environment to run programs written in Java. The Plugin is part of that. A small number of websites also use this. If it affects the computer performance a lot you could disable it, however, if you visit websites which are using Java, you might need to enable it.

This object is responsible for a propagation of Java Plug-in settings from admin account to all regular (non admin) user accounts. In other words if SSVHelper is registered with IE then the only thing admin needs to do in order to switch from a new Java Plug-in to an old Java Plug-in is to run from a command line: ssvagent.exe -high -jpisetup -old or uncheck a checkbox "Enable the next generation Java Plug-n" in Java Control Panel. In both cases changes will be propagated to non admin user accounts."

Therefore, if you are not in a managed, Enterprise environment—as in, this is your own personal computer—then the SSVHelper Java Browser Helper Object does nothing useful for you, and can be safely disabled.

For further information, refer the Java Support article:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6747116

Let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, please post back. We will be glad to help you.

Regards,
Anil

37 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.