IE11 cannot load Office 365 Portal?!!! Seriously?

Windows 8.1 64bit, IE 11. When i go to the Office 365 login at portal.microsoftonline.com and enter my credentials, IE 11 crashes, auto-reloads, then crashes again and takes me to a completely un-helpful "opps" error page. Most other sites work fine. How in the world does MSFT release... no, FORCE IE11 on 8.1 uses when it won't even load it's own freaking websites??!!!??

I cleared the browser cache multiple times, restarted browser several times (had to anyway), rebooted once, uninstalled IE11 then re-installed, Put the site in the compatibility list, checked and unchecked the 'use MSFT compatibility list' option, checked and unchecked 'use compatibility mode for intranet sites' option, disabled all addon's (there were only the default ones)...... I don't know what else I could have tried.

So now I am using Chrome to browse MSFT's own freaking website. Unbelievable.

Then, to top it off, I find I can't even install IE10 to WIndows 8.1. It say "IE 10 already installed"m despite the fact that I currently I ave removed IE11 From the Windows Components section. 

So.... how to fix this? How do i get IE 10 on Windows 8.1? IE9 maybe? 
|
Answer
Answer
Good morning all, I have also experienced this issue (Recently upgraded to Win 8.1 with IE 11).  
System setup:  
  • ADFS integrated domain, large O365 client (Redirects to local ADFS servers for authentication against internal AD).
  • Per MS best practices, added O365 related domains to IE "Local Intranet" Security zone (*.microsoftonline.com, *.sharepoint.com, etc.) via GPOs.
  • IE crashes when redirecting from O365 sites to O365 Admin menus.  Tries to open portal.microsoftonline.com, then redirect to login.microsoftonline.com (And our local ADFS infastructure) for SSO.  
The good news is, at least in my case, I was able to resolve the issue by making a change under Compatibility View Settings.  Click the gear in upper right of IE 11, choose "Compatibility View Settings" and remove the check mark next to "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View".  Once I removed this option, the site opens up like a champ.  

So, there is some component either on the login.microsoftonline.com or the portal.microsoftonline.com site that causes IE to crash while viewing in compatibility mode.  I believe the Display intranet sites in compatibility view is enabled by default.  

Anyway, give it a try and see if this resolves the issue for you.  Hopefully this will help MS support find a permanent resolution.  

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Chris,

Does this issue occur only while accessing Office 365 portal?

Internet Explorer 11 is pre-installed with Windows 8.1 Operating System, hence we won’t be able to downgrade to Internet Explorer 10.

This issue can be caused due to internet Explorer security settings.

Let’s try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to open Internet Explorer as administrator and check if it helps.

This will help us to find out if the issue is with the User Account Settings.

The executable for Internet Explorer 11 is located here: C:\
Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Right click on iexplorer.exe and select the option “Run as Administrator” and check if it helps.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and check if it helps.

Safe Mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in
Safe Mode with Networking, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

If the issue does not persist in Safe Mode with Networking, then perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problems using clean boot in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  

Note: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot “to reset computer as usual.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to Reset Internet Explorer settings and check if it helps.

Reset Internet Explorer settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Hope this information is helpful.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2021 Views 49,491 Applies to:

Related Forum