How to set HTML editor in Win 8 & IE11 to Frontpage?

My employer likes to use Frontpage 2000 to update his site (don't ask why), and on his previous Win7 laptop I was able to set it as the default editor for the website in Internet Explorer. His new laptop has Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 11, but I can find no way to set Frontpage as the default editor or one of the choices when you click the pencil icon (edit button). The ONLY option displayed is Notepad. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated June 30, 2019 Views 1,803 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Follow up - Employer had me install FrontPage 2000 on another Windows 8.1 laptop. This time I installed SharePoint and Office 2013 first. 

Kept getting Error 1919 about missing FoxPro files when trying to install FrontPage 2000, so this is what I did --

After many attempts, I did some research and found a Visual FoxPro OLE DB Provider dll and downloaded it. Don’t know if it helped, but I installed it in XP Compatibility mode.  Then did a Custom Install of Frontpage in XP compatibility mode, selecting only Frontpage and Help, and de-selecting all the “Office Tools” and other add-ons which I thought might conflict with the newer Office. 

The error message was a result of two missing Registry entries, but the manual Registry fixes I've seen online were written for Windows 98 or 2000, so I didn’t feel comfortable editing the Windows 8.1 Registry.  Clicking Retry did nothing, but clicking Ignore about 10 times finally got Frontpage to install.  Frontpage now appears as an editor option with the Pencil icon in IE, and I was able to open a page, so hopefully it will work now.  

Bottom line is, you CAN install FrontPage 2000 (and maybe old Office apps) but it takes a lot of effort and patience. Of course, no guarantee as to how well it will work in the long run. Hope this helps. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.