Disable _automatic_ redirection to Microsoft Edge from Internet Explorer

From time to time a website won't be rendered well in a browser.  Sometimes it could be due to deficiencies in the browser, and sometimes it could be due to deficiencies in the website.  I get that. 

Sometimes websites are encoded to check the browser being used, and adjust the content being served accordingly.  Occasionally they even prevent the visitor from viewing any content (and this is not always justified!). 

Recently (this year) the Internet Explorer browser (version 11) has been checking websites to decide whether it is capable of rendering the content.  I don't mind that concept. 

My problem is that if IE decides that it can't render the content, it automatically redirects the visitor to Microsoft Edge (version 85).  In other words it launches Microsoft Edge and opens the triggering website within it. 

At the same time the following explanation is displayed within Internet Explorer:

"The website you were trying to reach doesn't work with Internet Explorer

You've been redirected to Microsoft Edge where you can continue your browsing uninterrupted."

Depending upon your settings and browsing habits, Microsoft Edge might be launched with dozens of tabs from a previous browsing session (in my case), with the triggering website opened in a fresh tab at the end of the series. 

And it could happen multiple times, when you least expect it. 

I should not have to accept that IE can just open Edge (or any other application) whenever it wants to. 

I should be given an option to switch the behaviour so that I merely get the above explanation together with a link or dialogue box that would allow me to choose whether or not I want Edge to be opened to view that particular website.  (And perhaps the option to reconfigure it so that I can instead view the problematic website in an alternative modern browser of my own choice.)  I don't mind Edge being the default browser to launch when IE identifies a website that it can't render, or that by default the launch happens automatically, but I want a way to turn it off. 

I hope the option is available somewhere, or with some workaround.  Please let me know if you have any tips. 

This kind of nonsense makes me want to uninstall Edge — which would be the ultimate in extreme 'workarounds' — but I'm hoping to learn of a less drastic alternative. 

—DIV

|
Answer
Answer

Open Microsoft Edge and go to ...->Settings->Default browser , you will see option called Let Internet Explorer open sites in Microsoft Edge and you could set it to Never.

However, my recommendation is use Microsoft Edge as your default browser because it supports the latest standards and is recommended browser and most websites will work well on it.

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2021 Views 13,859 Applies to:

Related Forum