Can't Print from Internet Explorer 11 in Win 8.1

I cannot print any page from Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 8.1 Pro.  I am able to print from other apps to my networked HP printer, both from the desktop and the Metro screens. I am able to see the Print Preview in IE11 and select all options for my HP printer, but when I click Print in IE11, nothing happens.  As a work-around, I sent the IE11 page to OneNote where I was able to open it and print it properly.  I saw a note for a similar problem with previous Windows and IE versions that said to run IE without add-ons, but I don't see any easy way to turn them off in IE11 except by right-clicking each one individually - not a reasonable thing to do.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2018 Views 9,494 Applies to:

Related Forums

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You could open tools->Manage add-ons and use Shift key in your keyboard and select the top add-on and press Shift and select the last one and it will select all add-ons and give you option to disable all. Then you could enable them one by one to see which one causing problem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You can turn all add-ons off (essentially run IE with no add-ons) to see if that is, indeed a cure.  To run without add-ons.........

Open the Run box (Win + R)

enter iexplore.exe -extoff (there is one space before the (-)

Hit OK

There are a number of ther Microsoft recommended "fixes" here.  (can't say if any work, but have a look anyway).........

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973479

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for suggestions, but still no solution. 

I disabled all add-ons on the Tools->Manage add-ons screen, but IE 11 is still not able to print a web page.  I tried running IE 11 as Administrator also.  I selected various encodings on View->Encoding per HP's web site suggestions.  I have tried desktop and Metro versions of IE 11 with no success.

When the Print Queue window is open on the Win 8.1 desktop, I can easily see that Notepad, Excel and Word send their documents to the queue, and they are printed correctly.  The Print command in IE 11 does NOT send anything to the queue (although Print Preview and Printer options and Find Printer all seem to work fine.)

None of the suggestions in KB973479 were relevant or useful.  (Thanks anyway.)

I am able to print web pages to this same networked printer (HP 6100 series) without any problems from my other computer on the network running Win XP and IE 8.

Sorry this didn't help.

Might want to look at your print spooler drivers .......... ( C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\W32X86)

Run services.msc,

right -click on Print Spooler, see if its running and set to automatic.  If not, change the settings.  While you are there right-click again and select the "Refresh" option before closing the window.

Then check your spooler settings  Control Panel>Hardware & Sound>Devices & Printers>

right-click on your printer and select printer properties.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Services.msc shows Print Spooler is enabled and automatic.  In Control Panel, printer properties match those in the example above.  So far the best solution is to simply use Chrome browser.  It prints without a problem.  I'd still like to get IE11 working. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

After spending 2 hours fooling with this basic functionality, I've solved the problem.

Going to Google Chrome which has no problems printing from an HP laptop running 8.1 to a Xerox WC 5745 with fresh drivers.

Sorry this didn't help.

After spending 2 hours fooling with this basic functionality, I've solved the problem.

Going to Google Chrome which has no problems printing from an HP laptop running 8.1 to a Xerox WC 5745 with fresh drivers.

Can you tell me how you managed to solve it, I have the similar problem, and none of the solutions work.

I can't print from IE(doesnt matter which version it is, i tried to install IE 9,10,11), after i click print, nothing happen, no error msg, the printer icon never shows up.

But I can print from Google Chrome or word.
And it's not the Temp folder's problem.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have not found a solution to make IE work. 

I have been using Google Chrome (instead of IE) as my browser, and it prints (and does everything else) just fine. 

I assume that was Ted Gregory's solution also. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Thanks for all the effort, but the IE11 print function is just broken on my new Win 8.1 Pro laptop. 

When I got this new HP laptop in January, I downloaded & installed the latest drivers for my HP C6150 networked printer. I did not have to update Windows or IE. They were all pre-installed on this new computer. 

Everything works great except printing from IE11.   (IE under Win XP on my other computer prints properly to this printer.)

I have downloaded & re-installed HPs drivers again today (all 344 MB) with the same results. IE11 shows me the printer, lets me change its settings, shows a print preview, and then sends absolutely nothing to the printer (print spooler icon does not appear), and that's it. 

Word, Excel, One Note, Google Chrome and absolutely everything else print perfectly. 

It's not worth any more of my time or effort. Google Chrome works fine for everything. It's just mind-boggling and aggravating that IE11 doesn't.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the steps suggested by Karthik Vengaloor from the following link and see if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/unable-to-print-using-internet-explorer-11/744d4fb4-896b-4c29-8cb7-d6aa3816f10f

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues  with Windows in future.

Sorry this didn't help.