cannot open attachments HTTP ERROR 404

Hi,

I have Windows 8.1 and was recently updated to IE 11.  I cannot open attachments sent in email, instead I get : "HTTP ERROR 404

Problem accessing/service/home/~/. Reason: must authenticate  Powered by Jetty://:

I am using Comcast email and EI 11.  When I use google chrome I don't have this problem.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2018 Views 1,182 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are getting HTTP ERROR 404 while opening emails attachments using Internet Explorer.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better?

• Have you made any significant changes prior to this issue?
  • Do you face the issue on other websites using Internet Explorer?

I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check.

Method 1: Try to open the attachments in compatibility view and check.

Open the page in Compatibility View

Refer to the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11

If issue didn't get resolve try method 2,

Method 2:Turn off friendly error message in internet explorer:

Turn off the friendly error message option in the browser as follows:

1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
  2. On the Advanced tab, under the Browsing section, click to clear the Show friendly HTTP error messages check box, and then click OK.
  3. Close the browser.

If issue still persists try method 3,

Method 3:Rest Internet Explorer Settings. I would suggest you to Reset Internet Explorer settings and check if it helps. 

Reset Internet Explorer settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11 

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashish Sondhi

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.