Java Application Blocked by Security Settings

I have participated in a chat room for several years hosted by addonchat.com. Between the new IE, Windows 8.1 and the new version of Java, I can no longer access it. I used to get a warning message with a check box for me to allow anyway. Now I am just getting an Application Blocked popup. The entire thing says

Name:  Client

Your security settings have blocked an untrusted application from running.

There is an "OK" box and nothing else. This is driving me nuts! I have added both the site specified and the host site to trusted sites. I have lowered security to zero, on both the Security and Privacy tabs and have even allowed unsafe things in the Advanced section. I can find no way around this. Another site I use that has a nice little Java app still allows me to check "run anyway". I would really like to use all the proper security protocols and continue to use Explorer as my browser, but I must find a way to fix this. Is there a registry hack? Some way to specify that the application on this site is trusted? Something?

Thank you for any help.

Pat

[Edit: "Java" added to title]

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2018 Views 72,116 Applies to:
Answer
Click through the following:
1. Start
2. All Programs
3. Java
4. Configure Java
5. Security Tab
6. Security Level - Medium

37 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

These are the only choices with new versions of Java! Note that we're having the same issues with the applets from Network Solutions; they will not run on computers with newer Java.

Between this and some of the crazy restrictions on Chrome plugins (must be in the Google store!) we have delays in getting our business completed.

Brilliant.

Me too. I work in the security industry & because of IP cameras I have to add so many exceptions that it is just insane i.e. 168.168.X.1-255, 192.168.X.1-255, 10.X.X.1-255. My browser exceptions list is totaling a few hundred in a couple of weeks of working with Java 8 - feels so safe & secure....

I have complained to Java about this & they have not responded. I complained to MSN about this being a serious security issue & they directed me to this thread. I know how to add an exception & I have even tried editing Java's advanced settings & registry settings.

You can add a command line string to the launcher & change the default deployment to the old Medium setting.
Happy reading;
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/jcp/properties.html

I loved NT sssooo much!!

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.