"Modern" IE10 bugs

I was talking to a friend the other day who had bought a Surface RT, and he politely described it as "****", and was extremely disappointed with the user experience. Talking to him some more, it seems most of the bugs are in IE10, and most of them I had also experienced on my own Surface RT. Which makes me wonder why on earth these haven't been fixed when they are so common and annoying, is MS trying to sabotage itself or just incompetent? 

Anyway I thought I would try and catalog all the IE10 bugs I've seen on my RT:

• Clicking a link often takes two or three "pokes". The first poke often gives some feedback, but doesn't "take". Very common on Facebook, pretty much always have to touch links twice. How has this not been fixed???
  • Pages crash REGULARLY. Get the "recover or close" dialog, which doesn't do much except make IE10 crash harder. Once a page has crashed, normally have to close and reopen IE10. Becomes very unresponsive for long period.
  • Tab bar flicks open and closed as pages load. Highly annoying, as a page loads the tab bar will close just as you attempt to touch it, causing touch to register somewhere on the page instead.
  • "Back" causes reload. I believe this is fixed in IE11?? Terrible UX.
  • Touch scrolling/zooming will completely cease to work on a page. Reload doesn't fix, have to close and open new tab. Quite common.
  • Context menu (touch and hold) will occasionally stop working. Context menu pops up and instantly disappears.
  • Double click (touch) to zoom/unzoom triggers by accident all the time when scrolling, way too sensitive.
  • Occasionally get "phantom tabs"; pages that no longer have a tab button, but still show up whenever you close a tab. No way to close these pages short of exiting IE and reloading.
  • Google Docs spreadsheets, selected cell sometimes does not not align with underlying cell. Not sure if this is a bug or an "implementation feature", but it works in Chrome (of course).
  • A tooltip from one page will sometimes persist across all tabs, and is tricky to dismiss. Have seen this a handful of times.
  • Pinterest "Pins" overlap incorrectly. Wife showed me this one, and have seen it reported elsewhere on this site. Renders fine in other browsers.
  • Hover menus unusable. I know this is not a bug as such, and I don't know how iPad, Android etc handle this, but some thought needs to be given to this as some sites are rendered unusable.
  • No built-in PDF viewer a-la Chrome, very annoying to have to download PDF and open in separate app.
  • Not IE10 per se, but Windows 8 often does NOT automatically connect to WIFI; is very frustrating to have to keep reconnecting and check "connect automatically" each time.
Anyway, my question is: why haven't these been fixed?? They have no doubt done irreparable damage to the Microsoft, Windows 8, and IE brands. 

And secondly, which have been fixed in IE11 (hopefully all)?

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2018 Views 864 Applies to:
I think the zero replies gives you a pretty good answer. I don't see anything else out there in the way of community, certainly nothing from Microsoft. Just the occasional Sermon on the Mount by way of an MS blog posting. I am optimistic that MS will someday understand how people want to interact with software companies on the Internet. And how to update software with regularity like all their competitors.

I love IE 10 in the modern interface when it works, which is about 90% of the time. For those keeping score, that's not a good batting average for software. For example. to write this post on this Microsoft site I had to switch to Firefox on the desktop... IE 10 Modern refused to allow me to sign in or click the reply button. I tried touch, the pen, the touchpad... shutting down, reloading, restarting.

Thanks for taking the time to put together a bug list.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You know I just finished trying IE 11 Preview on my Windows 7 64 bit desktop. Was hoping IE 11 had fixed a lot of what's wrong with IE 10. So far, not yet. I had to uninstall it because it simply breaks even more sites then it fixes. I think Microsoft needs to realize that even now, many popular sites do not properly address IE 10 or "dream on" IE 11. They are still recognizing IE9 and older. But let's look at why these sites do this. It is mostly because many Windows users are STILL on Windows XP. Being stuck with either a alternative browser or IE8. I don't think we can expect to see some significant compatibility improvements in anything until we can get the web and its users off of XP. IE10 works for me most of the time and it is more stable. But I can see why many have moved on to other browsers. Some times you have to. I don't blame Microsoft completely in this problem. I think having more then two browsers to choose from just makes for confusion and less compatibility. Obviously some sites work better with a certain browser. Not sure though, why I need to have 3 browsers on my PC's just to make sure I can view properly all sites? All browsers have their fair share of issues.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.