Unable to update Flash on Internet Explorer 10(Windows Release Preview 8)

I have a 64 bit laptop running Windows 8 Release Preview, and using 3 different browsers for different reasons. Two of then have successfully had me update them to Adobe Flash 11.4. However, when I checked with Internet Explorer, it is still using 11.3 and when I try to update it through Adobe.com, I am, told to use Microsoft Update. I have Been checking without any available updates. It is as if Internet Explorer is blocking me from updating it. Can someone please help me as my flash is running poorly and I need to desperately update. Thank You- E.S.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2018 Views 11,824 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

·         Which websites are you referring to?

·         Do you get any error message?

Flash is built into Internet Explorer 10 Release Preview if any update is available you will be notified.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2012/05/31/windows-release-preview-the-sixth-ie10-platform-preview.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am referring to Adobe.com/flashplayer

and I get this message:

This content requires a newer version of the Flash Player. Please download and install the latest version of Flash Player from the Windows Update site before continuing.

If you are using the Metro style browser, please confirm you have allowed updates to the Compatibility View list as follows:

1. Open IE on the Desktop
  2. From the Tools menu, click Compatibility View settings
  3. Check Download updated compatibility lists from Microsoft

If you don't see the Tools menu, press and hold on the title bar, this will show the context menu, check the Menu bar.

Now I have tried to get an update from Windows Update and change my Compatability settings, neither of which work. There appears to be no such update from my Update, and Compatability setting changes only get me this message:

<p>The Flash Player is disabled. Please enable the Flash Player as follows:</p> <ol> <li>Open IE on the Desktop</li> <li>From the <strong>Tools</strong> menu, click <strong>Manage add-ons</strong></li> <li>Select the Flash Player add-on</li> <li>Click <strong>Enable</strong></li> </ol> <p>If you don’t see the <strong>Tools</strong> menu, press and hold on the title bar, this will show the context menu, check the <strong>Menu bar</strong>.</p>

This content requires a newer version of the Flash Player. Please download and install the latest version of Flash Player from the Windows Update site before continuing.

E.Christian Stenquist

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here, Flash is stuck on 11.3 and won't update to 11.4.  I created a thread over on the Adobe forums: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1054046?tstart=0

On my Win8 RTM laptop I am stuck on Flash version 11.3.372.94.

On my Win8 release preview desktop and on my release preview virtual machine I am stuck on Flash version 11.3.370.178.

When I go to the Flash download page to manually update this page is all I get no matter what I do.  As I understand it the Windows 8 Windows Update is supposed to update Flash but this doesn't seem to be happening for either the RTM or the release preview.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1786/flashdoesntupdateforie.png

Anyhow, I still tried to manually download and install Flash 11.4 for IE but it won't install:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2272/activexflashwontinstall.png

Wondering when it will be updated or if there is a problem on my end?  No idea where to go because manual update isn't even an option here.  Could use some light on this situation...

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here, Flash is stuck on 11.3 and won't update to 11.4.  I created a thread over on the Adobe forums: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1054046?tstart=0

On my Win8 RTM laptop I am stuck on Flash version 11.3.372.94.

On my Win8 release preview desktop and on my release preview virtual machine I am stuck on Flash version 11.3.370.178.

When I go to the Flash download page to manually update this page is all I get no matter what I do.  As I understand it the Windows 8 Windows Update is supposed to update Flash but this doesn't seem to be happening for either the RTM or the release preview.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1786/flashdoesntupdateforie.png

Anyhow, I still tried to manually download and install Flash 11.4 for IE but it won't install:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2272/activexflashwontinstall.png

Wondering when it will be updated or if there is a problem on my end?  No idea where to go because manual update isn't even an option here.  Could use some light on this situation...

I confirm this problem on Windows 8 RTM. I can't update Adobe Flash Player for IE.
"Нет неразрешимых проблем. Есть неприятное решение." © Э.Борн

Sorry this didn't help.

I think Microsoft need to certified ddl`s with sha256 key flash player and then it will be installed on system

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are having this same problem remember to go to the top of this thread and hit the "Me too" button!

According to an Adobe staff member Microsoft won't be releasing a Flash update till Windows 8 is generally available (wow that's not till Oct 26th).  I kind of doubt that answer because it leaves users wide open for an extremely long time.  Regardless though, I guess this security update was totally unplanned and Microsoft doesn't have the Windows 8 Update infrastructure in place to update Flash right now.  Using Windows Update to keep constantly bugged versions of Flash updated is a nice idea but if you can't deliver in a timely fashion then it doesn't mean a whole lot.  Hopefully this is a one time problem.  I am required to use Flash and IE so I will have to restore my Win7 install because IMHO Flash is far too easy an attack vector for people to use.  One bad Flash advertisement on some random ad network and there goes your system...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1054046?tstart=0

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue and I hope we can soon do without this Flash Player and it's constant update trouble, i. e. with HTML 5.

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like Windows Server 2012 (Windows 8 Server) is now generally available but still no Flash 11.4.  It would be nice if a Microsoft rep could just chime in to say this is a one time delay.  I want to use Win8 but an updated Flash is too important to go without.

Sorry this didn't help.

this is critical, if we cannot get flash based websites to work correctly, there is no alternative than to reinstall win7.

pull your fingers out MS

Sorry this didn't help.

found a way to view the errant websites, use another browser, I am utilizing Firefox with facebook until MS pull their finger out flash wise, it really is very good.

Sorry this didn't help.