SmartSource Coupon Printer Problems with Windows 8

I have Windows 8 and I cannot get any coupons to print from Smart Source. I understand that coupons.com has Active X installed and Windows has to be in desktop mode to print from coupons.com. This is not the problem. SmartSource coupons will not print. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Java, tried opening in different browsers, everything. I am connected to a network printer but did not have any problems with SmartSource on an older version of Windows. Please help! :) Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2020 Views 5,444 Applies to:

Related Forums

Hi Cassandra,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft Community.

After going through your description, it appears that you have an issue with printing webpage content. However, in order to guide you in the right direction; I will need some more information. Please help me by answering the questions mentioned below.

1. Is the issue confined to coupons.com?

2. Do you get any error message?

3. Do you face any issue with normal printing?

I would suggest you to run the Internet explorer (IE) as Administrator and check the issue status.

Try running the Internet explorer (IE) as Administrator:

a) From the Modern start screen, type Internet explorer.

b) Right click on the IE icon and a new app bar would be displayed at the bottom of your screen.

c) Select the option “Run as Administrator”.

d) Try printing the webpage now.

If you need further help; I would suggest you to reply with more information, we’ll be glad to assist you!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

First off, thank you for your assistance. I have just discovered a few new things.

-The issue only applies to Smartsource.com (Here is an example coupon: http://coupons2.smartsource.com/smartsource/index.jsp?Link=QOE25WEEMSI22)

-The issue is not a part of the Active X where you have to run Windows 8 in desktop mode - this only applies to coupons.com a different website than I am having problems with

-I do not face any issues with any other normal printing (I can print from different coupon websites, print documents, etc - only printing problem is with this particular website)

-I am running Windows 8 and Internet Explorer and connected to a network printer

-The steps I follow are selecting the coupons, hitting print, then I am brought to a screen that says "your coupons are printing", then I get an error message "Sorry the current default printer is not supported"

-this message also says you have to be connected to a physical print device

The only way I can print to this network printer is to be physically connected to it - I have to plug the cord into my laptop.

-Is there any way around this (to be able to print from the network printer without being physically connected)

I used an older version Windows on another laptop with this same printer and same website and had no issues printing to a network printer (I have a Brother MFC7340)

Note: I tried "Run as administrator" but had no success)

Again thank you so much for your assistance, I look forward to learning more from you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same problem with SmartSource coupons.  Hope to find an answer soon.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got a new Windows 8 laptop and installed Smartsource's coupon printer and am having the same problems as you.  I too print to a network printer and can not print from smartsource.com.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only way I can print to this network printer is to be physically connected to it - I have to plug the cord into my laptop.

-Is there any way around this (to be able to print from the network printer without being physically connected)

I used an older version Windows on another laptop with this same printer and same website and had no issues printing to a network printer (I have a Brother MFC7340)

Looks like this is "by design" on both counts.   However, they do at least say that they might consider some cases that are being excluded by that policy.

Frequently Asked Question

I get an "unsupported printer" error message.

<quote>

We do not allow printing to certain types of printers, primarily those that can capture an image of the coupon.

Our latest software is more rigorous in defining what printers are allowed and some users that previously were allowed to print are now seeing this error.
</quote>

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Sorry this didn't help.

I was getting the same issue with my network printer and windows 8 / java / smartsource.  If you change the compatibility mode for java.exe to windows 7 everything will work.

1. Open Explorer to :"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\" on a 64 bit OS.

2. Find java.exe right click and select properties

3. Select the compatibility tab and select run this program in compatibility mode for windows 7.

Close out of IE or your current browser and try again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  I tried your suggestion and it worked beautifully.  If anyone is have trouble printing. They should follow your instructions.

DF

Sorry this didn't help.

For once I had hope that this was going to be the resolution, Ive done everything. It didn't work for me!  :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Megan,

Are you getting any error message?

Use the Compatibility View and check.

Fix site display problems with Compatibility View.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-10

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.