Java plugin for Internet Explorer x64 not working

Hi, I would like to use the Java plugin for Internet Explorer 10 (x64). I was able to get the 32bit version to run several applets, but not the x64. I've enabled enhanced protected mode to make IE run the x64 version but any time when I go to a page with Java plugins, it switches to using a 32bit IE. 

How do I know this? Because I used Process Explorer to look at the process tree and it clearly shows the java plugin (jp2launcher.exe) as the child process of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Furthermore, this happens not only with Java. If I go to any page that uses Adobe Flash player, IE uses a 32bit instance of IE. For pages without plugins, IE does run the x64 version. I'm using version 10.0.9200.16466.

Is there a way to disable this behavior so that I can run Java plugins in 64bit mode?

Thank you for any help

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2019 Views 3,345 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
OK, I've found a solution myself (helped tremendously by the clue that the tabs were running as 32bit):

Set the following registry value to 0

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\TabProcGrowth

Now all the pages will run as x64, even those that use Java or Flash. Hurray, now I no longer need to have a 32bit JRE installed.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.