how to run internet explorer 10 64 bit in windows 8 64 bit?

I have already followed descriptions of the problem by:

step 1: I have go to the 64 bit program files internet explorer folder and when I run the iexplorer.exe, it is still run 32 bit not 64 bit version.

step 2: I have checked the security tab in the internet options and where I am supposed to find a check box for Enable 64-bit internet explorer, but the check box does not appear.

I am running windows 8 64 bit, I want to run internet explorer 64 bit, but all the references I have read are all inconclusive, because, in both locations of the c:\program files (x86) and c:\program files where I am supposed to find 32 bit version and 64 bit version both run 32 bit version of internet explorer 10.

So, the big tamely question here is: how to run and/or enable 64 bit mode of internet explorer 10? 

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2019 Views 8,582 Applies to:

In Windows 8, there are no longer two separate browser options that can be selected from the start menu, as was the case in Windows 7.  However, the browser still retains both its 32-bit and 64-bit modes.

To choose which mode to use, you will have to take a different approach.  Enabling/disabling it is associated with security zones, just the way the security settings and Protected Mode are. This means you can use the 32-bit mode on trusted sites for maximum compatibility, and the 64-bit mode on untrusted sites for maximum security.  But, understand that running in 64-bit mode will slow down your browsing speed considerably, and can cause a number of other problems, such as the inability of a website to open properly  (many sites will only open in 32-bit, and many add-ons are 32-bit).

The 32-bit browser is the default.  It operates with only "Protected Mode" enabled.  The 64-bit browser requires both "Protected Mode" and "Enhanced Protected Mode" enabled.

EXAMPLE:
Notice that the "about IE10" is the same whether you open iexplorer.exe from the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" location.  No mention of 32-bit or 64-bit like it used to be.

1. To select the 64-bit browser mode................Open Internet Options.

2. Click on the Advanced tab, scroll down to the Security section. Turn on "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" and you have enabled the 64-bit browser in IE10, Windows 8.

3. Then...open the Security tab .

If not already checked, select the "Enable Protected Mode" box for the Internet zone. (this box is usually checked by default).

Click APPLY.... OK. to set the IE10 64-bit browser for the Security Zone..

4 To set the 32-bit browser for the security zone, simply UNCHECK  "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" in Step 2.

Click APPLY..  OK.

5. Restart the computer when you change the browser mode. 

Once you have chosen your preferred settings for all the security zones, simply restart Internet Explorer. You will now be able to browse the zones in the corresponding 32-bit or 64-bit modes. This new method seems to be a welcome change considering it removes the necessity of having two versions of the same browser installed while still granting access to both versions.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

this information is useful

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.