How do I get my lost emails back from Virgin Media ? (or do I sue Richard Branson or Microsoft ?)

I was an ntlworld customer in the UK from 1990 to November 2011. In November 2011, I changed my internet service provider from ntlworld who had then been taken over by Virgin Media.

My operating system at the time was Windows Vista. All my emails were converted to Vista's wml format and stored in my Windows Mail.  (and these are important emails because, I am a Chartered Accountant licenced by the    Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, and my emails contained all correspondence and file attachments from my professional clients as well lost of very valuable personal correspondence) 

I was one of the people who upgraded to Windows 8 on the first day, i.e. on October 26, 2012.

Unfortunately I discovered that Microsoft , on upgrading my OS to Windows 8, have erased my Windows Mail completely from my PC. This means I have lost my correspondence covering more than 20 years.

I phoned Microsoft technical support several times  who directed me to their call centre in India. We have several very long conversations but it was all to no avail. I told the Microsoft assistant that it was the legal responsibility of Microsoft to have saved all my wml files in the hard disc of my computer before erasing my Windows Mail from my PC. I assumed that Microsoft would automatically save all my wml files to my PC before erasing my Windows Mail, which is their own trusted software from my PC.

Better still I think Windows 8 should have given me the option to keep Windows Mail and all its contents on my PC while I was "upgrading" to Windows 8,  but they haven't.

After many long arguments with the Microsoft support assistants in India, (which was very bad for my blood pressure) they told me that the only thing I can do is to contact ntlworld technical support and ask them to supply me with my lost email files. But ntlworld do not exist anymore as they have been taken over by Virgin Media and I left Virgin Media in November 2011 because they were charging me too much anyway, so what do I do ?

I contacted Virgin Media customer support several more times and once again had many long and useless conversations with them, including their technical support department in India, but all to no avail because I am no longer their customer.

But still, apparently there is still an ntlworld technical support department in the West of England who Microsoft assure me they have all my email files for the period of time that ntlworld and Virgin Media were my internet service provider , but Virgin Media are denying me access to that department.

Finally I really think that I am entitled to $625,000 compensation on grounds of the damage to my feelings. But in the first instance "how do I get my emails back?" and in the second instance please advise me which one of these do I sue:

1.ntlworld

2.Virgin Media

3.India

4. Richard Branson, because he is not a corporate identity and can not pass the buck

5. Microsoft (god forbid)

Thank you for reading this. I know it's too long, but it a long saga.

|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I am sorry but the above link is all that we could provide you.

Abdul Raqeeb Kola
Former Microsoft Senior Support Engineer/ Sr. Blogger

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 5, 2021 Views 3,633 Applies to:

Related Forum