Unable to Change IE/Windows Proxy Settings

At random times I am unable to change the proxy settings on my laptop.  I pull up the options menu in IE, or through 'run', and go to the 'connections' tab, choose the 'lan settings' option and then change from 'automatically detect settings' to 'automatic configuration script' or vice versa.  Most of the time it works fine but sometimes, while it will let me change which option is selected in that window, once I click the 'ok' button and the window closes, the proxy settings revert back to my old settings and there is nothing I can do to change the settings for a while.  I need to change the settings because at work I need to specify a configuration script or proxy server to connect to the internet but at home I do not.

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2018 Views 80,799 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Dilbert,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thanks for posting the question.

Based on the description provided, it looks like you are facing an issue while changing Internet Explorer Proxy settings.

This issue occurs due to Internet Explorer settings or permission.

I would suggest you to try the following Microsoft article and check.

Method 1:

Check the permissions on Internet Settings in registry

a) Click on start button > type in regedit in the search box and hit enter.
b) Navigate to the location below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

c) Right Click on Internet Settings and select Permissions.
d) Ensure that your user profile has full control.

Note:
Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Method 2:

I would suggest you to Reset Internet Explorer settings and check if it helps.

Reset Internet Explorer settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/internet-explorer/change-ie-settings#ie=ie-10

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Refer to the following Microsoft article.

Change proxy server settings in Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-proxy-server-settings-in-Internet-Explorer

If you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.