Internet Explorer 10 downloading massive number of Files which is overwhelming my system

About two months ago, I upgraded to Explorer 10 on my newer custom Win 7 based desk top system.  I have only used Microsoft security systems, do daily full updates and scans with Essentials, at least weekly system cleanup, have limited the Temp file to 500mg, with deletion at every signoff.  Automatic upgrades are on, and all devices and drivers are set at factory defaults.  At that time, there was about 98 gb free on the 250 gb SST.  Since i use this for work, i keep it clean of unnecessary data.  This week, the system notified me that i was out of space, and could no longer function normally unless I deleted some files and made space.  After a long manual search, i discovered an invisible file that had over 2.6 million files and over 71gb of data.  This is that file: 

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5    This file was getting hundreds of files downloaded and saved EACH MINUTE that the computer was on with an open internet connection, EVEN WHEN MY BROWSER WAS CLOSED.

The normal Temporary Internet file, was clear of all but the most recent files, and effectively cleaned after each signoff and each system cleanup.  But all system attempts were not able to clear this file.  I used the three or four processes available through Microsoft for file cleanup that were referred to in several other post answers.  None worked to reduce or clear that invisible folder.  CCleaner did not delete those temp files.  Neither did several other processes for cleaning up temp files.  After much experimentation, including four system wide scans using four different security programs, and even a system restore i determined that trojans were not to blame.  The solution is that I deleted Explorer 10 which defaulted back to 9, and there have been no more files added to that invisible folder since, note even one. 

I like 10, but will not use it again until there is a fix on this issue. The files should be visible, especially when so marked, all the temp files should be cleaned, and my computer should not be communicating without my permission or knowledge.   

[Original Title: Explorer 10 downloading massive number of Files stored in Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 which is overwhelming my system.]

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Raymond,

I would like to inform you that it is perfectly safe to manually delete the contents of the Content.IE5 file. However, since you un-installed Internet Explorer 10 and the issue is resolved, I request you to install it again and check if the issue reappears.

The issue might have started because of a corruption in the installation of Internet Explorer 10. Use this link to download Internet Explorer 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-10-worldwide-languages

Please get back to us if the issue occurs again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Manasa,

Thank you for responding to my post.

Here is what happened after your reply, and request.  I decided to do what you requested. 

1. First, I checked the C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 file.  It still had no new files, only six folders with no contents.

2. Then, I downloaded Explorer 10 following the link that you provided.

3. The very instant that I restarted the computer to complete the installation (upgrade) from Explorer 9 to 10, massive amounts of files began to be downloaded into the file listed above.  Over 4,000 files in less than one minute. 

4. I closed the browser, and the files kept being downloaded at the same speed.

5. I disabled the internet connection, and the download stopped.

6. I went to Installed Updates and deleted Explorer 10, and immediately the downloads to that file stopped. 

This is pretty clear and convincing evidence that Explorer is doing several things that are not acceptable.  Those unaceptable actions inlcude the following:

1. maintaining an invisivble file, even one that does not become visible when so instructed by the Administrator.

2. Downloading Temporary Internet Files into at least two locations.

3. Not allowing this file to be limited in size as per instructions under Internet Options.  This file had OVER 71 GB of date with over 2.6 million files in only a couple months of installing 10.

4. Not allowing any known programs, inlcuding those provided by Microsoft on Explorer 10 and in Windows 7, and from Microsoft directly to delete these hidden files.

5. Allowing the computer to have access to unknown sites, even while the browser is closed.

If Microsoft technical team would like to log into my system and observe this problem directly, they are welcome to do so.  please send an e-mail to the address listed on my profile.

Looking forward to your response.

Raymond

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for the update.

Here’s what you can try:

Method 1: I request you to perform Clean Boot and check if the issue is resolved.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a Clean Boot. A Clean Boot helps eliminate software conflictsHere is the link for your reference to perform Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean Boot of the KB article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Please refer to the section: How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a Clean Boot, in the link.

Method 2: Create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

Refer to this link to learn how to do so:

Create a user account
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7

Please get back to us with the status of the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Manasa,

After I discovered the original problems with Explorer, and cleaned the system, and did the system restore to an earlier date, and then did full system updates from Microsoft, I then ran complete security scans with updated Microsoft Essentials, Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool, Microsoft Safety Scanner for Windows 7, and a newly installed copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  No viruses were detected. 

Then I ran the Microsoft Windows 7 System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) from the Command prompt as administrator.  It finished its complete check and reported that there were no instances of noncompliance. Unfortunatley, as we reported in my last post, the Explorer 10 problem persisted.

Do you still want me to do a clean boot and then repeat the entire process:  namely, re-install Explorer 10, check the hidden (invisible) temp file, delete 10, and clean the hidden temp file???  I am afraid that whatever window that Explorer 10 is opening would be subjecting my system to unknown security risks and then I would be forced to do all the security scans with potential need for another restore and updates all over again.   

I have already cooperated with Microsoft for several decades with providing feedback, and with this issue.  What you are requesting would be a time consuming process, and very time consuming if a trojan is introduced.  As I offered before, If the Microsoft team would like to experiment with my system to determine more, I would be willing to allow connectivity to my system.  Just let me know. 

Regards,

Raymond

And, you have not addressed any of the five concerns listed in my last post.  Did Microsoft create this C:\Windows\System3\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 in a way so : 

#1 that it was designed to not be visible even when the administrator indicated;

#2 that it is not cleanable by the normal automatic deletion processes;

#3 that it is not limited to the size limitations for temp internet files specified by user:

#4 and to were Explorer 10 downloads files even when the browser was not on?

I know that some of these features may be the result of damage caused by a trojan, but were they?  Or were they designed this way originally?  Your answer would be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Ray

Sorry this didn't help.

Cean Boot Did not fix Explorer 10 massive file downloading problem.

Hi Manasa,

I decided to try your next recommended fix.

#1 started with system clean of viruses.  Scan of full computer with updated Microsoft Essentials, protection left on, and with updated Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  No viruses were detected.

#2 Verified program defaults as specified by running  Microsoft Windows 7 System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) from the Command prompt as administrator. It finished its complete check and reported that there were no instances of noncompliance. 

#3 Performed Clean Boot as per your instructions above.

#4 Checked temp file  C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.  it was free of files.

#5 downloaded and installed a clean version of Internet Explorer 10 by following your instructions above for downloading Internet Explorer 10 directly from the site you specified.  Restarted computer, finishing the installation of Explorer 10.

#6 Checked temp file  C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.  Found massive files being downloaded into that file, even though the Browser still off.  It had not been manually opened and was not during this whole process.  In the four or five seconds that it took me to open that Content file, there were already over 300 files downloaded

#7 disabled connectivity, which stopped downloading process.

#8 attempted to delete newly loaded files from C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.  but was unable to delete all of them.  The reason sited for being unable to delete 69 files was that the "files were open in Application Experience"

#9 Searched for "Application Experience", but was not able to find it listed in any flies on the computer.

#10 Uninstalled Explorer 10.  That made Explorer 9 my browser.

#11 Was able to successfully delete remaining files in Content\IE5 file.  Which seems to mean to me that    even with the connectivity disabled, AND Explorer 10 not even opened, it was performing some kind of processes with temp files on my system.  Another concern to be added to the list of those above.

#12 Enabled connection to internet, no new files were downloaded using Explorer 9, with browser either opened, or closed.  This clearly indicated again, that Explorer 10 (((downloaded as twice before directly from the Microsoft site onto a computer system Microsoft indicates has no viruses, with files checked by Microsoft File Checker and this time started with a Clean Boot))) is the cause of the problem.  The evidence seems to be clear indeed.

Looking forward to your response.

Raymond

PS.  I also verified that Windows Firewall was On before this whole process.  It was still on after everything else was completed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply - preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 (64-bit) come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

2a. Was Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) originally offered & installed via Windows Update or did you intentionally choose to install it?

2b. In Windows Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client <=this folder

Select Properties: What is the Created date displayed on the resulting General tab?

2c. What ANTIMALWARE CLIENT version is currently installed? To find out, open MSE & click on the downward-pointing arrow to the right of HELP then select ABOUT SECURITY ESSENTIALS.

3. What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed MSE?

4a. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer?

4b. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Are ALL of the following updates listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

(a) KB2846071 & KB2850851;
   (b) KB2845690, KB2839894 & KB2830290;
   (c) KB2813170, KB2813347, KB2840149 & KB2807986;
   (d) KB2790113; KB2676562 & KB2644615.

6. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

7a. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 7 Update 25 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

7b. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.8.800.94 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related references may include:

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Pa Bear,

Here are the responses to your diagnostic questions, to the best of my limited ability

#1 a.  I bought the computer around November 2011.  It was a complete custom build.

#1 b. Win 7 64 bit was purchased new at time of build and installed by the local custom shop onto the new build at time of build.  Not an upgrade.

#2 a. When computer was new, I did a clean install of Microsoft Security Essentials directly from the Microsoft website.  Approximately six months ago, as a result of a problem with a MSE update, we did a delete of the old MSE and a new re-install from the Microsoft site.

#2b. created date: ‎Tuesday, ‎July ‎30, ‎2013, ‏‎11:02:17 AM

#2c

Antimalware Client Version: 4.3.216.0

Engine Version: 1.1.9700.0

Antivirus definition: 1.155.1447.0

Antispyware definition: 1.155.1447.0

Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.1.9700.0

Network Inspection System Definition Version: 106.0.0.0

#3. two installed by maker, but not used, and not current or updated.  deleted and not currently on system.  Original MSE was installed with them present.  Not sure about current version.

#4a. Never had Norton or McAfee installed on this computer, other than free trial of Norton which was deleted immediately upon arrival.

#4b. Had Norton free trial version, but deleted at time of delivery and not present at time of MSE new install.

#5 a. KB2846071 - yes, KB2850851 - yes

b. KB2845690 - yes, KB2839894 - yes, KB2830290 - yes

c. KB2813170 - yes, KB2813347 - yes, KB2840149 - yes, KB2807986 - yes

d. KB2790113 - yes, KB2676562 - yes, KB2644615 - yes

#6.  No other browser has ever been downloaded onto this system including Firefox or Chrome that I am aware of.  I have only installed and used Only Explorer. 

#7a Java results from site:

Verified Java Version
Congratulations!
You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 25).

#7b results of Adobe search:  You have version 11,2,202,235 installed

8. No.  Have used CCleaner for cleanup since purchase of computer but have not used it for registry cleaning.

I hope that this information has helped. 

Thank you.

Raymond

Sorry this didn't help.

Had Norton free trial version, but deleted at time of delivery and not present at time of MSE new install.

Fact: Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly.

1. Did you (a) uninstall the Norton free-trialware AND THEN (b) download/run the Norton Removal Tool & reboot (c) BEFORE you first installed MSE and before you installed ANY Windows Updates?

2. Can you successfully upgrade to Flash Player v11.8.800.94 by opening Internet Explorer ONLY to this page? => http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

• LOOK! => Beware any pre-checked options to "drive-by" install unwanted, third-party software (e.g., Google Toolbar; Google Chrome)! [i.e., uncheck any such option(s) before you upgrade Flash!]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Robear,

1. I am not sure.  It has been almost two years since the computer was new and this process happened.

2. Yes.  It installed just fine.

Where do we go from here?

Now, could you tell us if Manasa actually is a Microsoft tech?  Or just another community member?  Has Microsoft support been reading this thread?  Does anyone who has been in this chat have the capacity to correct a potential problem with Explorer 10 itself?  

Sorry this didn't help.

Manasa is not a Microsoft employee or technician but employed by a third-party to help out in these forums. [Yes, another outsourced job!]

I'm pretty sure I have a fix for you but let's give Manasa another day or two to reply to your thread & see what (s)he might suggest, OK?

==================================================

On the other hand, MS MVPs are volunteers who neither represent nor work for Microsoft

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2020 Views 27,667 Applies to:

Related Forums