Question

Q: IE10 won't display eBay, and major problems on other websites also

I'm having some real problems using IE10. Sometimes I just get plain white pages, instead of websites. Sometimes IE10 seems to 'hang' and I have to close it. But I will try to concentrate on just one problem at a time, and the first one I'll pick is that I can't get Ebay to render correctly in IE10. It's difficult to describe how badly the page looks, but when I go to www.ebay.com, I get the ebay logo in the upper left corner, a few random lines and no other pictures or graphics. Ebay is completely unusable. I'd attach a screenshot or picture in a file, but I don't see a way to do that on this forum.

I've read everything I can on this forum (and others) about IE10 problems, and I've tried the following:

- Reloading IE10 completely

- Turning on and off hardware rendering vs software rendering under Tool | Internet options | Advanced, and rebooting

- Enabling and disabling tracking protection from Tools | Safety | Tracking protection and rebooting

- Clicking on the 'Compatibility mode' in the search/address bar near the top

But no matter what I try, the Ebay website looks the same way, and is unusable.

My computer is using IE10 10.0.9200.16540 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. I'm running a PowerSpec PC, with an Intel I5-3330 CPU at 3 GHz with 8 GB memory. I'm using a NVidia 7950 GT display adapter operating a dual-monitor configuration.

Google Chrome 26.0.1410.64m seems to be rendering everything fine in any website to which I go, including eBay. I kind of liked using IE8, and I'd use IE10 if I could figure out how to get it to work. I've never had this type of problem with a web browser before, and I'm really puzzled. Please help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Aztec,

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following question:

Do you receive any error message or error code?

You may follow all the steps from the article mentioned below and check if that works.

Videos won't play or webpages don't display correctly

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-10-win-7

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Hope this information helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

i had the same problems and i couldnt upload pictures on ebay.    the only thing i could do was revert back to an earlier exlporer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Imran M --

Thanks for the suggestion of the webpage. Actually, the link that you suggested was one I'd already reviewed and had tried everything listed on the page, and while I didn't mention that I'd tried everything on the link in my previous e-mail, be assured that I had tried all of them. I think the only things I didn't mention before that I'd tried from this link were that I'd shut down both add ins and accelerators. Also, I tried the resetting of all default settings. None of them fixed the e-bay situation I described in my previous e-mail.

To answer your question about the error messages, the answer is 'no', as I didn't get an error message; the page simply will not display correctly.

After searching around on the web, I've found one other person that had some similar issue (but not with eBay) with a dual-monitor configuration. The person in question also used one monitor in portrait and one monitor in landscape orientation, which is a configuration I use also. I don't know if this is relevant or simply a red herring, but I'll mention it here.

Let me know if you can think of anything else I should try.

Sorry this didn't help.

I noticed one more thing. I didn't think of this as an error message, but perhaps it is. The message is "A problem with displaying ebay.com caused Internet Explorer to refresh the webpage using Compatibility View." However, even in compatibility view, the webpage displays in an unusable state as described in my earlier e-mails.

Sorry this didn't help.

You might try this,

Open ie,

Hold the Alt key down and type these letters, TB

Uncheck the box to download updated compatibility list from Microsoft/ and of course make sure Display all websites using compatibility view is Unchecked.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response, but typing alt TB and unchecking all options in Compatibility View Settings didn't solve the problem... I closed IE10, and reopened it, and still the problems displaying eBay bit IE10 persist.

Let me know of anything else you think I should try.

Sorry this didn't help.

I meant "I closed IE10, and reopened it, and still the problems displaying eBay by IE10 persist."

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue sounds identical to mine, IE10 on Win7 64bit, cant load ebay, cant load www.w3.org and random other sites including one I built that worked perfectly in IE8. Compatibility mode does nothing to improve this behaviour. I cant vouch for IE9 as that would never even install after trying all sorts of suggested fixes.

IE10 just loads a blank page or sometimes it will load the websites background but that's it. It's all a bit average really with the bugs installing IE9 and now this it seems you don't properly support your own browser?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Duo --

Yeah, much of the time I would get just a blank page, as you described. As I mentioned in my original posting eBay was unusable, and yes, it did seem like only part of the background was working.

I eventually decided to upgrade my computer to Windows 8 from Windows 7 64-bit. Now my IE10 works fine, including on eBay, etc.

I'm guessing there must have been something missing in Windows 7 64-bit, rather than and issue in the IE10 browser itself, that was causing the problem, which means probably the recommendations to fix things in IE10 would never have worked, because they weren't the right solution. But I had tried a Windows Repair while I still had Windows 7, and that didn't find any problems, and didn't fix the problem with IE10, either.

So I've mooved on, but it seems that I shouldn't have had to update to Windows 8 to get IE10 to work, but that seems to have solved the problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

Delete your browser history,

Open Internet explorer,

Hold the Alt key down and type these letters TD, (or Gear symbol on the top right/ Internet options/ Delete button)

Check All of the boxes and Uncheck the very top box,

Click on Delete.

Close ie,

Reset ie9 or ie10 manually,

Click the Start button on the Taskbar,

Click on Control panel,

Click on Internet options,

Go to the Advanced section,

Click on Reset button on the bottom,

Check the box to Delete personal settings,

Use the recommended setup and install options.

Shut down your machine.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,447 Last updated: May 15, 2018 Applies to: