I can't uninstall IE 10 as it isn't listed in Programs and Features. How can I roll back to IE 9?

I can't uninstall Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 10 as it doesn't show up under "Installed Updates" in Programs and Features. I need to revert to IE9 because SEVERAL banking sites do not function with IE 10.  I've also tried de-selecting IE 10 under "Windows Components", but all that does is remove IE 10's EXE- I can't re-install IE9 because it says it's already installed! IE9 isn't listed under "Installed Updates" either. As a matter of fact, there is no "Microsoft Windows" section under "Installed Components!
I've run the "Fix-It" repair for Windows Update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058), but that did nothing. I then ran a fix-it to uninstall a program, but IE 10 is not listed and when I select "Not Listed" Fix-It asks for the "Product Code"- assuming that everyone knows the IE 10 product code!
Don't suggest System Restore either- been there, done that. No change- even when selecting a date PRIOR to the April 1 IE 10 install!!!

Help?

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2019 Views 57,011 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

After checking again...It is as I told you.

I took the time to contact Microsoft MSDN Phone Support.

They provided me with this command to force the uninstall of the IE10 update and roll the machine back to IE9. It needs to be run with admin rights.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*10.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

From there I was able to force the rollback of IE9 to IE8 with a simlar command (below)

---From Misrosoft MSDN Forums---

Question:
I want to uninstall IE9 however I cant see it in the installed updates section?

Answer:
If you can't see it under Installed Updates, run this command twice from an command prompt (cmd.exe) with adminrights---

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

This removes the IE9 with the help of the command line.
Credits go to Nadine K. (German MS Support Engineer).

André

----END QUOTE---

The command to roll back IE9 will generate 3 access errors...OK through them and run the command AGAIN in the same command line window it will run without error.

Reboot the machine and the system will be on IE8.

Let me know if this helps you out.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.