Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies

How can I install IE10 without installing KB2670838?

CamDaMan asked on

Long story short, I've discovered that I definitely don't want the KB2670838 update on my system as it stops me from playing XviD and DivX videos. Also, I've heard that tons of other Win7 users are having even worse trouble with it, so I don't want it on my computer.

But I DO want to have Internet Explorer 10. I used it for a few weeks before I discovered the problems KB2670838 was causing and learned that it was the KB2670838 update causing them, and it ran smooth as silk compared to IE9. There are also some problems I have with IE9 that I don't seem to get with IE10.

My problem is that whenever I try to download and install IE10, the Windows Update software also downloads and installs the KB2670838 update, even though I specifically leave it unticked on the list of updates! When I uninstall the KB2670838 update, IE10 also gets uninstalled!

Can someone please tell me how I can download and install IE10 onto my system without getting the KB2670838 update on my computer?

I'm running Win7 Pro, 64-bit verson.

Thanks.

4 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
CamDaMan replied on

Ever find a solution?  Now that VS2013 will require IE10, it's even more critical!

Never did find a solution to this problem, but I just took a chance on upgrading to IE 11, and so far I haven't noticed any ill affects! It certainly hasn't stopped Windows Media Player from playing my DivX/XviD movies like upgrading to IE 10 always did.

Either IE 11 doesn't use the disastrous KB2670838 update at all, or Microsoft finally de-bugged it. Either way, I'll be happy if things continue to run as smoothly as this! And the browser itself seems to run smoothly too, though I haven't really been running it long enough to determine if it has really eliminated the connection failures that happened so frequently in IE 9.

Finally! I'm able to compliment my powerful hardware with the most up-to-date browser!

Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress