Every download ends with message "File XXX contained a virus and was deleted". This occurs for files which are known not to contain viruses.

Original title: Donloads all get "contained a virus and was deleted" error

This question has been asked several times, and never answered.

Symptom: Every download ends with message "File XXX contained a virus and was deleted". This occurs for files which are known not to contain viruses.

From my web searching, it looks like this is caused by Windows' scanning downloaded attachments before storing them. If the scanning rejects the attachment, it is not stored. This is said to be due to the IAttachmentExecute::Save() method of Windows Shell interface.

It has also been suggested to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments\ScanWithAntiVirus to 1. On my machine, this was 3, but changing it had no effect. I can find no documentation on the meaning of this key or its values.

The symptom has also been traced, for some users, to incorrectly-installed anti-virus sw, such as Avast or AVG.

In my case, there is no anti-virus sw installed (or has ever been installed) except Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender. Both show no problems on complete scans. Both have the latest updates, via Windows Update.

Downloads *can* be completed with Firefox if the configuration parameter browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone is changed to false (default=true).

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

64-bit Windows 7 Pro, IE10 (same result with IE9)

|
Answer
Answer
As I suspected, the problem had to do with a missing program that was set to scan downloads combined with a previous infection on the computer of "System Care" scareware...

Symptom?

In control panel, when viewing small icons, the Windows Defender icon is missing, or creates an error when clicked.

The problem?

"System Care" messed up the installation of Windows Defender (stored at C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\ and also at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender\ if using 64bit Windows 7)

The solution?

Since Microsoft has no way available of reinstalling Windows Defender, the solution I found was this:
  • From a working Windows 7 machine, Zip up the "Windows Defender" folder from "C:\Program Files\" to be "Windows-Defender.zip"
  • Also Zip up the "Windows Defender" folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\" to be "Windows-Defender-x86.zip" (if using 64-bit windows)
  • On the broken Windows 7 machine, open Windows Explorer as administrator, and rename the "Windows Defender" folder in each of the directories to something like "Windows Defender.bak" (do this in both C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files (x86))
  • Copy the .zip file(s) you made above on to the broken machine, and unzip them into their appropriate locations:
  • Unzip "Windows-Defender.zip" to "C:\Program Files\"
  • Unzip "Windows-Defender-x86.zip" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\" (if using 64 bit windows)

At this point, visiting the control panel again, revealed a working Windows Defender icon.  Also, downloading files through Internet Explorer started working again.

Besides fixing the problem for me, it reveals that Microsoft is not 100% accurate when they say that Security Essentials REPLACES Windows Defender, as it is obvious that Internet Explorer is still trying to use defender to check downloaded files....  The broken/missing Defender created a false result when IE attempted to scan the file, and thus the browser assumes the file is malicious.

I hope this works for someone else as well.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

You can run Windows 7 with Windows Defender disabled with (probably) no negative consequences. Try it for a while and see if there are any problems. In fact, if your security program is Microsoft Security Essentials, MSE would have disabled Windows Defender anyway.

- - - - - - -

The stopped working problem:

See: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11-win-7

More on add-ons:

IEBlog  Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx 

Don

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2021 Views 205,763 Applies to:

Related Forum